Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Admin.cgi prints file to screen - won't execute

Quote Reply
Admin.cgi prints file to screen - won't execute
Hello All,

Just got done re-installing Gossamer Forum for the third time - each time it says the forum has successfully installed. When I try to run admin.cgi from the browser - it prints the file to the screen rather than executing.Frown I uploaded using an FTP program (install.cgi in ascii mode, install.dat in binary mode), did the chmod file premissions, made sure path to perl was correct, installed using telnet when installing from the browser didn't work. Does anyone have any advice?

The site is hosted by Interland (formerly HostPro) and it's a Unix FreeBSD - Freedom 200 server using web Apache. We use Links SQL v 2.0.4.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: [Westiegirl] Admin.cgi prints file to screen - won't execute In reply to
interland uggggghhhhh <<< sorry had some bad experiences there

I might be totally off mark but ... sounds like the cgi isn't executing ...

Can you access the forums without going to admin?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Admin.cgi prints file to screen - won't execute In reply to
In Reply To:
interland uggggghhhhh <<< sorry had some bad experiences there

I might be totally off mark but ... sounds like the cgi isn't executing ...

Can you access the forums without going to admin?
Hi QooQ,
Well, my first guess was that the cgi isn't executing but then again, I'm not a programmer. Regarding accessing the forums - if you mean execute the gforum.cgi file from the browser - the answer is no. Otherwise, perhaps you could explain how I'd access the forums without going to admin. Looks like all the files are there but wouldn't I need to go through admin to set everthing up?

Hey everyone, Is this a hopeless case? How can I get this demo to work? We'd really like to work with a Gossamer product rather than get an outside forum program.

Last edited by:

Westiegirl: Jan 9, 2002, 10:12 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Westiegirl] Admin.cgi prints file to screen - won't execute In reply to
Did you install Gossamer Forum into a location where the Server executes .cgi's? It sounds like it's not, and thus instead of executing the admin.cgi (or gforum.cgi), it's just displaying it as a normal file. Do you have CGI available on your server? You might need to install it to a cgi-bin directory for it to work. If you're not sure about these questions, ask your server administrator.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: Admin.cgi prints file to screen - won't execute In reply to
hmmm ... it's been a little over a year since I last had the oppurtunity to use ahem interland ...
Their FAQs at the time for Linux weren't very helpful, I won't mention tech support ... too bad they used to be a very good company ... X years ago.

You have LinksSQL running on the same server, correct?
Strange that g-forum won't go in too.

When you reinstalled g-forum did you erase all directories first?
I had similar problems trying to update -- went for a complete fresh install ... the first updater wasn't too swift.

Also, is your image directory in the cgi-bin or out side of it ie:: public_html/images/gforum ?
my devbox hates the images being in the cgi-bin ...

This can be very frustrating .... I hope you haven't pulled all your hair out ... my wife is complaing that I'm going bald Laugh

Quote Reply
Hi QooQ,

Thanks to Brewt, the install went smoothly and I'm now in the Forum Setup - SQL information - right at the beginning. Already I'm stuck...LOL!

I've never dealt with MySQL so I'm having to read a lot right now. I'm trying to figure out how to complete the info. I suppose I'll be posting a lot in the near future. Wish me luck! And yes, hair falling out in clumps...
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Admin.cgi prints file to screen - won't execute In reply to
Thanks so much, Brewt. You gave me the info I needed. Install went fine and admin.cgi is running. It's a bit scary at this point though... Unsure
Quote Reply
Smile Success! I'm actually in the Admin looking around.
Quote Reply
You too huh? I consider myself an Interland refugee after two years with them.
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Admin.cgi prints file to screen - won't execute In reply to
actually it was my partner's site ... we got in a tiff our them ... he's actually happy I helped him to escape.

He just couldn't jettison from their every increasing worsening support ... he could only see how they were like 3 years ago -- a great company.

I felt bad making him since he was a loyal user to them ... but it was either move or me not working on his site.

You still with them?