Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Adding field to User Table

Quote Reply
Adding field to User Table
I send out mass mailers to my users, but some have said they do not want to receive the mailers. I want to add a field to the user form in the Admin panel so I can mark these users with a "NO" when I do a selected user search to establish my mailer list (the default should be "YES"). Also, I do not want this option available to the User to change in their Profile.

Please instruct me on how I can do this. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [inboxcom] Adding field to User Table In reply to
Hi,

You'll want to add a column to the Users table via Tools->Table Editor. Details for doing this start on page 95 of the manual, but you'll likely want to create a column similar to this:

Column Name: receivemailing
Column Type: CHAR
Not Null: Yes
Default: Yes
Form Display: Receive Mailings? (or whatever text you want displayed while viewing users' records)
Form Type: Radio
Form Names: Yes No (enter these words in both "Form" text fields one per line)
Form Values: Yes No

Also, add "receivemailing" to the list of options users can't change (Setup->User Options->user_private_fields).
What manual? Is there a link where I can read up on this?
Quote Reply
The manual is in the same download area that you downloaded Gossamer Forum from. If you can't get a hold of it, let me know and I'll e-mail you a PDF copy of it.
Please e-mail a PDF copy of the manual. I looked all over the Gossamer site and could not find it. Thanks.
Quote Reply
You can download it here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ts/gforum/manual.pdf

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [Inertia] Adding field to User Table In reply to
This worked fine. I was able to add the info, but when I went to change this new item on a user record, I get this error message:
  • Column Display Email cannot be left blank
  • Column Real Name cannot be left blank

Quote Reply
Hmm. Fire an e-mail to support@gossamer-threads.com with your admin panel info if possible.
Will do. I have since found that when I make any change to a user profile from the admin panel, the error message comes up and prevents the change. The only work-around was to fill the 'Display Email' and 'Real Name' fields with something, which in this case I used "Not Available." Unfortunately, the coding in the 'Display Email' field converts it to 'mailto:not available.'