Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
A bug?
Hi

I have asked a question relating to the old php front end of LinkSQL, but it also applies to the forum script.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=302623;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread

I just test it here by altering my profile without filling in my username and it did the same thing - returned my old username instead of the "empty" field.

Would be interested to hear if this was a design decision (and if so for why do it this way?), or just something that had been missed?

Regan
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] A bug? In reply to
Hi,

Not sure what you mean?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] A bug? In reply to
Andy wrote:
Hi,

Not sure what you mean?

Cheers

Hi Andy

Try this...

1. Go to "edit profile" in this forum.
2. Delete your username.
3. Click "save user profile".

It will return an error that you didn't provide a username.

But it also fills in the username field, with your existing username - when it should actually display an "empty" field (which is what you submitted).

Regan
Quote Reply
Hi,

Ah right - I believe that is intentional Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] A bug? In reply to
Andy wrote:
Hi,

Ah right - I believe that is intentional Smile

Cheers

Would be interested to know the reason why that's the preferred method if it is intentional.

Is that the same way you do your scripts andy?

regan
Quote Reply
Hi,

Well, my guess would be - because that field isn't allowed to be blank - its intentionally filled with the current username - so as to not be blank :)

I don't really have any need for stuff like that in my scripts - and from memory, I don't think I've ever had to do that - but I've been coding a while, so can't say for sure <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Since different people have written the various programs, things are a little different. imho, the best practice is to keep whatever the user entered (even if it was invalid), since it might be just a small change to fix it, thus saving the hassle of retyping the whole thing in again. However, for the case of an empty field, it's probably doing a $IN->param('foo') || 'the saved value'.

Adrian