Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

2 things - message sort and 2.0.0

Quote Reply
2 things - message sort and 2.0.0
When cleaning out my forum private message queue I noticed that after paging through the sent messages, sorting went all out of whack.

Messages were no longer sorted by date, name, or any other indicator I could follow. I resorted by date but that would not hold moving between pages of messages.

Real bug and something already fixed in 2.0.0?

And speaking of 2.0.0.

1.8.0 was released at the end of August 2002. We're moving pretty close to Feb 2003. Can we get any idea on what sort of timetable we might be looking at for 2.0.0...now that Community is out of the gate?
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] 2 things - message sort and 2.0.0 In reply to
Alright, two seperate issues here. First of all, the message sort: this seems to be working for me. There is, however, a potential issue related to fact that there are _two_ paged sections on the private message list. What I do see happening is that only one of these lists is maintained at a time; if you sort the sent messages, or view a subsequent page of either one, the other list reverts to the default time sort on page 1.

Now, for version 2. First of all, I can't give a time estimate on the 2.0.0 release. I know there is a lot of demand for it, and I know I want to get it done because I think it is going to be more competitive, but more importantly, because of a new program structure, it should make adding new functionality into the program or via plugins far easier, and it will offer a friendlier interface for users and admins. Also important is a planned revamp of the way we handle language in the applications and templates making the job of translating the program into other languages not only significantly easier, but also making it _possible_ for situations.

However, priorities have recently been focused away from 2.0 development, partly to bring out Community, and partly for a 1.2.0 release in which we are bringing a couple features to the table that we want to get out now, rather than forcing people to wait for a new major release. I can tell you that the 1.2.0 release is scheduled for release in late February, but unfortunately I can't currently offer much more than that on the release. There will be some more information on the release soon.

I do need to mention here that the 2.0.0 release is by no means a minor update - it isn't a matter of just adding a bunch of new features here and there. Instead, it is a complete redesign that attempts to tackle all of the problems we've encountered in the 1.x series (as well as the current 2.x series of Links SQL and Gossamer Mail). The hope is that once that redesign is complete, adding new features becomes a very simple task. The idea is also for GForum 2 to also be a sort of model for how all new applications and new major versions of applications works.

Following the 1.2.0 release, I'll be able to start throwing out some more solid facts on just exact version 2 will and will not accomplish.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] 2 things - message sort and 2.0.0 In reply to
Thanks Jason, it's helpful to know where things stand. Would it be safe to say not to look for anything before the last quarter of 2003?
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] 2 things - message sort and 2.0.0 In reply to
It depends on what you mean by "look for." Am I going to have information on the development before then? Yes, absolutely. As for a release date, I can't promise or commit to anything, but obviously we want to get the release out as soon as possible. Personally and entirely unofficially, I'd like to see a Q3 release.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com