Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads!

Quote Reply
1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads!
1.2.0 is getting close to release, and I just wanted to throw out a teaser of one exciting, new, previously unannounced feature that 1.2.0 introduces: sticky threads. This has been a much requested feature, and with the 1.2.0 release it will finally be available. Next week we'll have a list of everything 1.2.0 brings, hopefully with a release by the end of the week.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
I don't know if this has been asked before, but will this "update" affect the changes we've made to our templates? (You know I fear change and/or having to figure out what little tweaks I've made and then trying to replicate them)

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
Hi Steve,

Obviously there are a few small template changes necessary here and there to get at the new functionality - in this case, it involves adding a Stick/Unstick link onto include_post_display.html, and adding an icon and text to forum_view.html. The changes are minor, and a diff showing the exact changes will be available.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Yippee!
Quote Reply
Contemplating sticky threads.
  • Will they have a unique icon?
  • Might be interesting for the sticky thread to have a different background color than regular posts. Maybe a yellow similar to a post-it note, or admin selectable?
  • Also to make the note stand out in forum view, a unique color highlight of the table row? Just a thought.
  • Will users be prevented from replying to it by default?
  • How will rights to sticky threads be controlled?

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Apr 18, 2003, 10:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
I agree as above...

The different icon is already present (green !) and the presence of 'STICKY' prior to the subject help (can edit this color) in the forum view. But it would be nice to be able to alter background color. Would be easy to add if a <%if_post_is_sticky%> is available to mess with the template. I assume that in forum admin can stick/unstick along with forum moderators...

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
In Reply To:
Would be easy to add if a <%if_post_is_sticky%> is available to mess with the template.

Yes - it's: <%if post_sticky%>

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
  • Will they have a unique icon?
  • They do now - a green exclamation mark shows up beside the thread icon.

In Reply To:
  • Might be interesting for the sticky thread to have a different background color than regular posts. Maybe a yellow similar to a post-it note, or admin selectable?
  • Also to make the note stand out in forum view, a unique color highlight of the table row? Just a thought.
  • Will users be prevented from replying to it by default?
  • How will rights to sticky threads be controlled?

• It isn't intended to be a seperate type of thread with seperate permissions, but just to permanently bring a thread to the top of a forum. In order to prevent people from replying, you can lock the thread, as you would with a normal thread. A different color is possible - it would just be a matter of throwing in some <%if post_sticky%> tags for different colours wherever desired.

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    Sounds great! At the moment I can't think of a more desired function on my want list.

By permissions not being any different, does this mean that regular users will be able to make something sticky, or just admin/mods?
    Quote Reply
    No, only admins/moderators can make a thread sticky, but normal users can do anything to a sticky thread that they can do to an ordinary thread.

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    Will a new version of gforum adopt a skin method to allow the user to change the appearance of the whole forum?
    Max
    The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
    Quote Reply
    Re: [maxpico] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
    In Reply To:
    Will a new version of gforum adopt a skin method to allow the user to change the appearance of the whole forum?

You can already do this with template sets, no?
    Quote Reply
    Re: [agaffin] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
    In Reply To:
    In Reply To:

You can already do this with template sets, no?

There is no way you could equate the current template system with changing skins or easily changing "the appearance of the whole forum". I suppose that if you love code, then you could answer maxpico's question the way you did, but for us mere mortals, changing the look of Gossamer Forum is a nightmare. Pirate

From prying, pleading and abusing the GT folks, it seems v.2 should allow us to manipulate the looks a bit more simply.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner

Last edited by:

Boomer: Apr 20, 2003, 3:25 PM
    Quote Reply
    Re: [maxpico] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
    In Reply To:

The next versions of our products (v2 for GForum, v3 for others) will all introduce a concept of themes, which will allow you to easily change the fonts, colours, images, etc. used throughout your forum. In this way, editting of the actual templates is rarely required - the only reason you would have to do so is when you want to completely change the structure of the tables - for example, the current default vs. default_top template sets. I hope to also make these themes easy to pack up and distribute, so that you can share (or maybe even sell) your themes to other users.

So in answer to your question, yes, the major version upgrade (2.0.0, not 1.2.0) will definitely adopt a "skin" method (I prefer the term "theme") that makes changing the look - in terms of fonts, colors, images, etc. - very easy.

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    Re: [Boomer] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
    [replyThere is no way you could equate the current template system with changing skins or easily changing "the appearance of the whole forum". I suppose that if you love code, then you could answer maxpico's question the way you did, but for us mere mortals, changing the look of Gossamer Forum is a nightmare. Pirate
    [/reply]
    Oh, God, you mean I've become a code geek? :-). Yeah, thinking about what I needed to do to add a new template set and add it to a user pick list, it was a few steps, and yes, 2.0 sounds like a much better answer. But it wasn't anywhere near, say, writing a plugin. Now *that* is my idea of difficult :-).
    Quote Reply
    Good. Now the question is: when?
    Max
    The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
    Quote Reply
    Quote:
    Next week we'll have a list of everything 1.2.0 brings, hopefully with a release by the end of the week.

Will it be ready this week?

Cheers
    Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
    Quote Reply
    Quote:
    No, only admins/moderators can make a thread sticky

If you go to the Links2 Windows Installation forum it seems a user called "FatandHairy" has managed to make a thread sticky. I wouldn't have thought a moderator did that?
    Quote Reply
    Re: [Paul] 1.2.0 Teaser - Sticky Threads! In reply to
    Perhaps a moderator or administrator made it sticky to test sticky threads, or because they thought it was important?

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    Now I read the thread content you are probably right. It's just that "sponge" is the only moderator and I've not seen him online for weeks.
    Quote Reply
    The week has finished.

some new ? BlushBlushBlushBlushBlush

http://www.webconferencia.net/
    Quote Reply
    I am waiting patiently for the new release.

I want to buy another GF now (yesterday)<--- for another one of my domains ... but I'll wait for 1.2.0.

Sigh...Crazy
    ~§ophia~
    Quote Reply
    Come on, tease us some more! Smile

The more I think about it, the more I'm really looking forward to this release.

And even more curious to start getting glimpses of what 2.0.0 might look like. About about a screenshot or two of an alpha or beta version?

You know you want to! Cool