Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

[Suggestion] Allow original post EDIT before 1st reply

Quote Reply
[Suggestion] Allow original post EDIT before 1st reply
Currently GT forums are configured the way, that the original subject can be only EDITed within X minutes after posting.

I accept it, but it would be more logical/practical to allow original poster to EDIT the post/subject before anybody replied to the post. This would be a per forum option.

Pro or contra opinions about this idea?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [Suggestion] Allow original post EDIT before 1st reply In reply to
>>
it would be more logical/practical to allow original poster to EDIT the post/subject before anybody replied to the post.
<<

Can't you just pick the right subject in the first place when composing?

I've made probably several thousand new threads and probably once or twice had to edit a subject line. I don't see a real need for this feature...but that's just me.

If editing is really necessary then couldn't you just set the edit time to a higher number of minutes?

I also don't understand what is logical about stopping people posting before you edit the subject line. That doesn't make sense to me - what if you don't want to edit it - how will the script know when and when not to allow people to reply?

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 2, 2003, 2:43 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [Suggestion] Allow original post EDIT before 1st reply In reply to
I accept your opinion. And also true, rarely need to EDIT the original post/subject.
But would be interesting to see, how many threads are, when the 1st and 2nd post owner is the same.
I think it would be a few percents which match that condition...

Quote:
If editing is really necessary then couldn't you just set the edit time to a higher number of minutes?
I meant the GT forum. And I'm not admin nor moderator on GT forum.

Quote:
stopping people posting before you edit the subject line.
??? Who ever told this?

Sigh. I did NOT wrote such, that anything would not to allow people to reply!
I wrote, user should be able to EDIT post, before the first reply. So if the post owner was able to find a solution, or wants a more descriptive subject, to be able to EDIT it.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [Suggestion] Allow original post EDIT before 1st reply In reply to
Quote:
Who ever told this?

I must have mis-interpretted your suggestion.

Quote:
I meant the GT forum. And I'm not admin nor moderator on GT forum.

Yes I know, but the edit time affects all users.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 2, 2003, 3:44 AM
Quote Reply
bump

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support