Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

"You can add/remove forum bans"

Quote Reply
"You can add/remove forum bans"
Hi,

In my GForum, I have several moderators now in place. However, for each of them the linked and available text "You can add/remove forum bans," appears.

I do not want them to be able to view the banned IP's let alone be able to add or delete them.

Is there some configuration that I have missed to ONLY allow members from the "AdminGroup" the ability to work with banning IPs?Crazy

Thanks..............
~§ophia~
Quote Reply
Re: [sophiabarton] "You can add/remove forum bans" In reply to
I guess you could edit the actions in Setup > Actions (I think)
Quote Reply
There are actually two sets of banned IP's in Gossamer Forum - one is a global IP ban (when you click "Ban Site IP"), the other is a ban only for the current forum. Typically, moderators ought to be able to ban someone who they feel is abusing the particular forum they moderate - but obviously they can't view the ban list of other forums, just their own. Likewise, if they can ban someone, they should be able to unban.

If you really do want to remove the link, edit the template and change it from:

<% if user_forum_permission >= 6%>

to:

<%if user_status == 3%>

That way the link will only show up for the administrator(s). Additionally, you can edit the actions related to forum banning in Setup -> Actions, setting each one to require administrator status. They are: forum_ban, forum_ban_list, forum_ban_write, and forum_unban.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] "You can add/remove forum bans" In reply to
Thank you Jagerman.

Smile You Da Man! Smile
~§ophia~
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
You Da Man!

Someone once told me that in Swedish, jag er man comes out to something like "I am man"

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Apr 17, 2003, 12:47 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] "You can add/remove forum bans" In reply to
In Reply To:
There are actually two sets of banned IP's in Gossamer Forum - one is a global IP ban (when you click "Ban Site IP"), the other is a ban only for the current forum. Typically, moderators ought to be able to ban someone who they feel is abusing the particular forum they moderate - but obviously they can't view the ban list of other forums, just their own. Likewise, if they can ban someone, they should be able to unban.
In very simple terms - I'm the non-techy admin! How can the mod's view forum bans (and therefore remove them) from the forums they have control over. I have admin status and can't find it.

And whilst I'm here, and similar theme - but I'll pass the answer onto the techy one if need be: Is there anyway to get "Who's Online" to show which forum people are viewing/posting in etc at the time as this would make chasing the known trouble-makers a much easier task when no admin is around.

Last edited by:

bluesnavigator: Oct 11, 2004, 4:19 PM