Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

split posts table, will it improve performance?

Quote Reply
split posts table, will it improve performance?
i was just thinking, if a high traffic forum with 20000 members, 500000 posts (almost 1 new post per min) and 300+ online users all time. the posts table is almost 230 mb in size, because of mysql lack of row locking, when a insert/update/delete action happens, the whole post table is locked, this really slow down the speed of browsing on a busy forum. shall i split the post table into two tables: active table which is used for normal forum use, archive table which stores old posts and only used for browsing/searching.

do inserting/updaing/deleting on a 20 mb post table is much faster than on a 200mb table, am i right? so is it nessary/possible to add a new feature for gforum, split posts table?

the backup table has same columns as active table, and by using mysql's "INSERT INTO ...... SELECT ..... FROM ...", i think it's not too difficult to move posts to another table.
Quote Reply
Re: [iw0nder] split posts table, will it improve performance? In reply to
Is this still a problem? I’m seriously thinking switching to some more stable, simpler and faster product from some of the GT comparators..
The new forum will probably not be released this year and the functionality of the old one is so poor that I wish I would never installed it.