Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Would this be possible?
Hi,

We're running Links SQL, GForums, and Community.

What I would like to do is, everytime a new user registers, I'd like to have a new thread created in the forum with the subject name being the usersname, and the message body being something like "Leave feedback for this user here".

Would this be something terribly difficult to do? I figure it's just a matter of adding some extra mysql commands to the registration system so that when a user registers, it writes the information to the forums mysql database at the same time. But Im not knowledgble about these sorts of things.

All help appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [Westin] Would this be possible? In reply to
Cos you're doing it with GComm, that makes it a little harder. You would need to hook in on the validation function, and then make a new post to the gforum_Post table.

Not that simple still (especially for a non-programmer, oer someone who's not used to using the GT product suite)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Would this be possible? In reply to
I was thinking that maybe find the location where community writes the username and password to the mysql database and just add in a couple more mysql write commands to also write to the table (or which ever one is necessary) to add the data to make the thread.

Im not concerned about people that sign up but never validate their accounts, and having the extra threads in the forum. Is that where the concern is for the validation function?
Quote Reply
Re: [Westin] Would this be possible? In reply to
Ya, should be ok - if you look in /lib/Community/Apps/Local/GForum.pm, and find:

Code:
comm_debug("Added user $user->{comm_username}$i to Gossamer Forum.");

...then you would need to add in the code to make the post in gforum_Post (it will be quite long winded, as a lot of fields)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Would this be possible? In reply to
Ok, thanks, yes you are correct there is a lot of fields. Unfortunately this is definitely beyond my skills, I had to do this once with a php forum and it was relatively easy since we were using the registration from the php forum to write a new user to the Links sql database. But this gforum has a ton of fields that seem to need to be incremented and unique information, like post_id, post_unique_id, all the post times etc.

Yeah it seems like a great undertaking. Maybe until I can figure something out on how to do it (not likely at all), I'll have to have the system email me with new users signup, and then go and make the new thread manually. As long as it doesn't get too busy at any one time, I should be able to keep up with that. I just hate being tied down to a computer or website. I'm an automated sort of freak. I had to automate it on another website i used to have running a couple years ago because we had like 100 to 200 people per day signing up during the first year or so, then it gradually dropped off to nothing. Oh well, I doubt that kind of response will happen again.