Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Renaming gforum.cgi
Suppose I wanted to rename gforum.cgi to index.cgi. Can I just do that and change all the links in the templates?

In other words, is there something in the code that prevents me from renaming gforum.cgi to something else?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
The best way is probably to try it. Rename it and just play about. It should be ok I _think_
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
Another solution (just came to my mind): include the following in the apache config file

Code:
<Directory "/path/to/forum">
DirectoryIndex gforum.cgi
</Directory>
Or some rewrite rule...

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
You can just add it in a .htaccess file

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 8, 2001, 3:39 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Suppose I wanted to rename gforum.cgi to index.cgi. Can I just do that and change all the links in the templates?

In other words, is there something in the code that prevents me from renaming gforum.cgi to something else?

Nope, it should work fine. In addition to the user template, you will want also want to change "home_nav.html" in the admin templates - It contains the "User Login" link at the top of the admin screen. If you don't use that link, don't worry about it. Coming in 1.0.0 (already in the admin panel here) is a stats page, which will contain some gforum.cgi links. Obviously, you don't need to worry about that now.

In Reply To:
Another solution (just came to my mind): include the following in the apache config file

Code:
<Directory "/path/to/forum">
DirectoryIndex gforum.cgi
</Directory>
Or some rewrite rule...

gossamer-threads.com uses a rewrite rule to take you to "http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi" when you go to .../perl/gforum. The problem with using gforum.cgi as a directory index is that if someone accessed:

http://server/gforum it would work, but then the next link, "gforum.cgi?forum=13", for example, would attempt to access http://server/gforum.cgi?forum=13. It's because the browser doesn't have a slash, so it assumes you are one directory up.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
I'm using a simple <%Response.Redirect("gforum.cgi")%> in a little default.asp page to redirect /forums hits to /forums/gforum.cgi.

My .02 cent solution.

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Jan 2, 2002, 9:55 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
A symbolic link:

Code:
ln -s gforum.cgi index.cgi

Works just dandy with the standard apache configs

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Re: [diversity] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
You mean standard unix config. Symbolic links are nothing to do with the web server, rather the OS it's sitting on.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
Uh, yeh! But it still works! Wink

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Re: [diversity] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
And that's what's important! :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
>>You mean standard unix config. <<

Actually that isn't true. You can make symlinks on Windows too.
Quote Reply
Not in the same way as described in the earlier post, though.

- wil
Quote Reply
http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/ln.1.asp

Just found this.

>>You can only create symbolic links on Windows 2000/XP systems using the NTFS file system and only for directories on local drives.<<

Doesn't look like it supports linking files.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 6, 2002, 2:42 AM
Quote Reply
I can do that too Laugh

on the command line even Laugh

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
I renamed my gforum.cgi to forum.cgi. I downloaded all my templates, did a search and replace, and uploaded them to the default/local directory (its easier then editing them manually).

Since I have community installed, I also had to edit a line in the Auth_Community pm file.

I haven't had any problems, yet.

Maybe the next version of forum will include the option to rename the file. It seems harder to rename this file then it would and of the cgi files in linksSQL.

Also, a search and replace feature written in perl would be nice to edit the templates.

Anyway, just posting to this old post to state my solutions.

Hope this helps,

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: [jdgamble] Renaming gforum.cgi In reply to
The next version of GForum will use a global tag for gforum.cgi - tentatively this is <%gforum.cgi%>, but that may change before release.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com