Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin safe

Quote Reply
keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin safe
why not keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin/ safe just like Gossamer Community£¿£¿

Gossamer Community use script check super user and super password to protect script safe.
it works all webserver like apache,IIS,netscape and not need .password .htaccess to protect directory.

it make all hostting mothed script safe.

my MSN: perlchina_at_hotmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: [tsingson] keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin safe In reply to
Without .htaccess I could go and download all of your templates.
Quote Reply
Antwort: [Paul] Re: [tsingson] keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin safe In reply to
anyone can't use the templates.

who care the HTML templates??
the perl code is import.
and the cgi-bin will be set can't read anythins. only run perl cgi.

Quote Reply
Re: [tsingson] Antwort: [Paul] Re: [tsingson] keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin safe In reply to
Quote:
who care the HTML templates??

I care about mine and certainly wouldn't want anyone getting their hands on them.

Quote:
the perl code is import.
and the cgi-bin will be set can't read anythins. only run perl cgi.

I believe this has been mentioned before so I expect it is something Jason is aware of and may consider for future releases.
Quote Reply
Antwort: [Paul] Re: [tsingson] Antwort: [Paul] Re: [tsingson] keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin safe In reply to
oh, i know that.

how Gossamer Community protect the templates HTML??

Quote Reply
Re: [tsingson] Antwort: [Paul] Re: [tsingson] Antwort: [Paul] Re: [tsingson] keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin safe In reply to
In Reply To:
how Gossamer Community protect the templates HTML??

By default, it recommends that you install them into a web-inaccessible directory, but also includes a .htaccess file that denies all access - just in case they _do_ get into a web-accessible directory by mistake. The recommended installation, however, is to put them outside of the web directory.

In Reply To:
why not keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin/ safe just like Gossamer Community

All of our current major products (Gossamer Forum, Links SQL, Gossamer Mail, and DBMan SQL) have a separation of user side and admin side, because they were all designed in that way. Community, however, reflects a newer development idea on our part of wanting to combine the user side and admin side. Community itself doesn't exactly combine the functionality, but it does combine the login. In version 2 of GForum, this will be taken further so that admin functions are accessed through a simple "admin" menu that shows up on your forum if you are an administrator-status user. When you log in, if you are an admin user, you'll see the complete forum, but with an additional link somewhere to take you to the administration section. Such integration enables us to add features that are currently impossible (or at least very difficult), such as giving certain users control of a category, allowing them to add sub-categories and forums as they see fit - currently categories and forums can only be changed by someone with access to the admin panel.

So, yes, such functionality is planned, but it is a major change that will happen along with several other significant version 2 changes. When v3 of Links SQL, GMail, and DBSQL come out, they will share this integration - though most likely to a lesser extent than Gossamer Forum will have.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Antwort: [Jagerman] Re: [tsingson] Antwort: [Paul] Re: [tsingson] Antwort: [Paul] Re: [tsingson] keep /cgi-bin/gforum/admin safe In reply to
yes, you know, some user like me use web hosting not a administrator.