Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Post Ratings Plugin

(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Post Ratings Plugin In reply to
I've changed this around a little to make it a bit more flexible.

As it was if you voted for a post you then wouldn't be allowed to change your mind which I thought was a little sucky so I've set it up so people can vote for a post but can change their mind at a later date if they wish.

eg if I give good karma to a post then the person who wrote the post pisses me off I can go back and remove the karma. After that point you can no longer vote for the post.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 14, 2002, 9:46 AM
Quote Reply
I've put up a demo at:

Demo removed for a while.

You can change your karma level in your profile and change the karma for posts from either the flat or threaded modes.

I've set it so that one vote will change the karma just so you can test it out.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 14, 2002, 12:51 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
As it was if you voted for a post you then wouldn't be allowed to change your mind which I thought was a little sucky so I've set it up so people can vote for a post but can change their mind at a later date if they wish.

eg if I give good karma to a post then the person who wrote the post pisses me off I can go back and remove the karma. After that point you can no longer vote for the post.

No, no, no!!! This goes against the whole purpose and principle of such a system. You are supposed to vote for the post and the post's contents and it's contex in the given thread. You don't vote for people you like and dislike and you shouldn't be allowed to go back to change your mind and do this.

Go and hang out at slashdot, or perlmonks.org for a few days, even weeks to see what I mean! Unsure

- wil
Quote Reply
I voted [-] for post 4 but it didn't go to -1. Are only positives working?

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Post Ratings Plugin In reply to
Err no, the whole point is to reduce the karma for posts you want to...there is no right or wrong reason...however the safety measure of requiring x votes prevents personal grievances from spoiling things, hence in the end it won't make a difference whatsoever.

You've got to get over this perlmonks thing, sheesh you've mentioned the word perlmonks about 15 times in this thread. If you are that obsessed why not write your own plugin?....Alex requested a karma style plugin so thats what Im doing...ok?
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Post Ratings Plugin In reply to
Hi,

yeah I was thinking about that before...one current issue is that new posts/threads will have a karma of 0 so if your level is set to 1+ then you won't get to see new posts or threads....thats a bit silly so Im going to change it so that posts below your karma level disappear except posts with a karma of 0

What do you think?....then I'll let the karma levels go below 0
Quote Reply
I understand your view point. I'm just saying from experience of using these systems for a long time that it takes a hell of a lot of planning and logical thinking before implementing something.

I just want you to make a good job of it (believe it or not ;-)) as this could prove a very valuable plugin for both yourself and Gossamer Threads as this will make it a very unique product. Most karma systems are tied in with content managment systems. I have yet to see a *comprehensive* one shipped with a forum.

I just don't want you rushing off to code something just to have to go back to the planning board and start again because you didn't take the time to think things through. I've been there. We've all been there - and it sucks, so I'm just trying to avoid that on yourself.

- wil
Quote Reply
How about a NULL karma until someone actually votes on it? That would make it appear for everybody then?

On slashdot, I notice that you can specify a range, rather than a cut off point. i.e. I believe the default is set to view all posts between -1 <-> +3.

- wil
Quote Reply
>>
How about a NULL karma until someone actually votes on it? That would make it appear for everybody then?
<<

Well yeah 0, NULL, same difference.

Yeah I guess I could do the range thing. Im also thinking of adding in username filtering too so that you can filter out certain users.
Quote Reply
Username filtering? I think that should be a seperate plugin?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=174177

- wil
Quote Reply
I don't know if you were intending to reply to my post, but if you were you must have misunderstood. I was referring to the fact that after I rated a post negatively the rating didn't change, even though you said it was set at one person. When I rated another post positively it did change.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
And you should also read the announcement that I posted from slashdot on this exact feature:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=176211

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes I was replying to you...which bit of my post made you think I'd misunderstood your post?
Quote Reply
Wil may I ask you a question...does slashdot rule your life?...it seems so. Tongue
Quote Reply
Sorry, I didn't catch that last bit-- I didn't realize it was intentional. I definitely agree that there should be a way that new posts aren't excluded. I don't get why there would need to be a range though-- would anyone really block posts that were above a certain amount? ("I'm sorry, I'd only like to read crap today" ;-) )

I also love the idea of having certain users not show-- could this be a per user setting, like one user could block PosterA and one could block PosterB?

DCScripts had this on a board-wide setting, and even that was great because the person assumed people were reading their posts and not replying when in reality no one could see them.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
No. I hate slashdot. It's all full of trolls and too political for me.

- wil
Quote Reply
>>
I also love the idea of having certain users not show-- could this be a per user setting, like one user could block PosterA and one could block PosterB?
<<

Yep thats exactly how it would work.

There would be a textarea in your basic profile and you could list usernames to block.
Quote Reply
Fabulous :) I'm very excited about that aspect.

I don't think it needs to be a separate plugin, as if you don't want that aspect you just wouldn't include the field on the user profile template. I imagine it's taken care of in the same function that the hiding of poorly-rated posts is, so it's probably more efficient to do it in one stroke.

Realiiity.com Forums
Post deleted by Wil In reply to
Quote Reply
>>
I imagine it's taken care of in the same function that the hiding of poorly-rated posts is
<<

Yep.

If you don't want that feature it can be turned off in the plugin options.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Ratings Plugin In reply to
Glad to see that things are moving along on this.

Not, to dig up old bones, but, the reason I'm so interested in this plugin is that I remember several different threads here at the forums talking about the "number" of posts vs "quality", about a person's "status" as being "veteran" and what not ....

What is the purpose of "Karma" if it ends up being just like the "number of posts" a person has? OR like a polling system?

I can see why Wil keeps mentioning perlmonks and their "XP" (Experience Points) system.

Here's a bit taken from another foum regarding vB's karma system ... I'm not sure if it's admin settable or not (I bet it is though) ....
Quote:
Points allocated to registered members:
New thread: 3 points
Reply: 1 point

Points allocated to thread's owner if their thread's replies exceed a given number:
5 replies: 1 point
10: 2 points
15: 3 points
20: 4 points
25: 5 points

Points allocated to thread's owner if their thread's views exceed a given number::
20 views: 1 point
30: 2 points
40: 3 points
50: 4 points
100: 8 points

Additional points given to member by admin/moderators:
1 point each

Points allocated to thread's owner if users agreed/disagreed with their thread:
+1/-1 point

Obviously, a big worry is if "a few" members continuously disregard with "a few" and continually give bad karma to someone. So, hopefully, there will be some kind of flood control to prevent problems.

Another thing, what do you get to do with your "karma" ???

The Marvel game I used to play allowed you to "add karma" to your attack against an oppenent! So, basically, you could rig the dice roll to gain an automatic critical hit or to automatically gain an automatic block.
So, I guess the karma at /. is only a popularity vote .... hmmm ... well I guess at a fundamental level isn't bad but I also want something more than just popularity, since I can gain popularity or dictatorship by convincing the admin to make me a moderator.

Which makes the XP system a little more attractive, since you gain XP/Karma which is connected to number of posts which in turn reflects your status level at the forum.
ie ... I wouldn't techinically be a "veteran" here yet!!! Since I've only met the "number of posts" requirement and not the "experience level".

whooo ... this is definitely, out of AD&D. hehehe. (perlmonks must have a few old timers like me with similar gaming experience).

So, I guess I'm saying that the karma and user ranks should be tied together (much more intergrated and advanced compared to the fundamental level I mentioned above).

So what do you do with your karma? Gloat over it? View it and say, "dam, I'm the posting king here!"?
How about letting users use their accumalated karma in this lifetime? Not in the ether world?
- you can use it to apologize. ie ... "you bad mouth somebody and wish to show that you are sorry" ...pay XX karma points
- you want to reach the next use rank but don't have enough posts (buy it with karma!)
- you use karma when you edit a post
- you use karma when you "delete" a post
- you loose karma when you "write sh_t, f_uck, b_stard, _sshole, ect..."
- you gain karma when you compliment somebody
- you loose karma when you "brown nose"
- ect ...

hmmm ... if tied in with user ranks ....
with enough bad karma you can loose a rank or 2. Just like a resurrection in AD&D.

ok ... this is gettiing really long.

Not meaning to bad mouth or cut down what has been done so far, just some ideas that I wanted to voice about this plugin hoping that I've said "1" thing that helps. hehe shotgun with birdshot effect Angelic

cheers!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Post Ratings Plugin In reply to
The main purpose of a karma~ system on perlmonks and on slashdot is *moderation*.

As your user levels go up you are allowed to approve threads for posting (similar to the moderation plugin discussesed somewhere in this forum). Then you are allowed to make changes to the site's FAQ and editorials, then you can join the dev team and see and make changes to the code and amongst this you can 'frontpage' nodelets - i.e. vote on which threads are hot enough to be on the front page. These are all powers given at different levels and carry a degree of responsibility that hardly ever gets abused over at perlmonks as their XP system actually works. As for slashdot and karma.. well.. set your threshold to -1 and let the troll flood gates open...

- wil
Quote Reply
Ok I've changed the plugin. It now will not show posts with a karma level below your threshold but it will show posts with a karma of 0...ie new posts or posts that have no rating, this is needed so that new posts are visible.

I've also added username filtering as an admin option...I have it working well.

The only issue I can see is that you lose thread context if a big chunk of posts disappear but if you aren't interested in what a certain user has to say then that won't bother you anyway.
Quote Reply
Ok I've put up the "pretty much" final demo....

http://213.106.15.150/.../gforum.cgi?forum=1;

I decided to remove username filtering as it wasn't the original purpose of the plugin...I'll make a seperate one to do that at a later date.

You'll need to register as it is a member only feature.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 15, 2002, 6:19 AM
Quote Reply
Doesn't work for me. Do you have it still installed?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
> > > >