Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

New Messages/Threads marked in bold, alternate cell colors...

Quote Reply
New Messages/Threads marked in bold, alternate cell colors...
See the attached screen shot for an example of something we did with WWWThreads.

First, we got rid of the alternating call colors. Then, we wanted to make the threads with new posts in them stand out more than a single icon on the left would. So, we marked them in bold with an alternate cell color. In this case, the typical cell color is grey, while the new messages are marked with white cells, in bold, with a yellow folder instead of white... I've gotten used to this and think it works really well. Also works in threaded mode, on the forum post list pages, and inside of threads. It's all css based so we just put another style in called newthreads, that has the cell bg, text properties, etc, for future changes.

I'm sure it could be done with GForum as well, as a hack, but I think both the alternating or consistent cell colors, and new post text/cell options would be nice appearance options for GForum.

Muhammad
Quote Reply
Re: [Muhammad] New Messages/Threads marked in bold, alternate cell colors... In reply to
Looks pretty slick! You could do this in the templates without changing the code (right now the templates are pretty complex, we are looking at making them easier to edit, and easier to preserve changes).

Instead of:

<%loop post_list%>
<tr bgcolor="<%if even%>some color<%else%>other color<%endif%>">
<%endloop%>

you would do:

<%loop post_list%>
<tr bgcolor="<%if post_new%>some color<%else%>other color<%endif%>">
<%endloop%>

These sort of changes will all be done through the templates. You shouldn't need to make changes to the code to accomplish a lot of the modifications people will need.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] New Messages/Threads marked in bold, alternate cell colors... In reply to
Excellent. Wink

Muhammad
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] New Messages/Threads marked in bold, alternate cell colors... In reply to
Are there any plans to reduce the number of templates like you did with LinksSQL ... I think I counted something like 63 at the moment (including the include and email text files) ...

It's not really a big issue but makes it a little easier to design your own look.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile