Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Poll Plugin

(Page 2 of 5)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Poll Plugin In reply to
I have improved the plugin with a couple of things:

a) IP and/or cookie based verification for voting for guests (admin configurable).
b) user_id based verification for users who are logged in (admin configurable)
b) you can set permissions for writing polls/voting on per forum and per usergroup basis (e.g guest can vote in forum A, but not in forum B; registered users can write a poll in forum C, but only moderators in forum D; etc).

The testing forum now allows you to write polls as a registered user. Get your password (no email validation required) and try making your own poll. Guest votes are verified by a cookie that expires after 24 hours.

---> http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/pollforum/gforum.cgi

Comments are appreciated. Tell me if you run into problems or inconsistencies or anything weird.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins

Last edited by:

yogi: Mar 5, 2002, 6:44 AM
Quote Reply
You need to add the poll forms on the advanced editor post form :)

Also, on my poll thing, I forgot to mention, I also have users post with their vote to include their reasoning (the subject of the post is their vote), might be something to look into for yours.

Realiiity.com Forums

Last edited by:

ellipsiiis: Mar 5, 2002, 12:18 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Poll Plugin In reply to
Advanced editor post form should work now. Could somebody test it, though? Thanks!

Users can post to the thread if they want to comment on their vote (like on slashdot).

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
I found some time to work on the plugin again. And I updated it on the test installation:

http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/pollforum/gforum.cgi

The permissions are set as follows (to show you how flexible the permission system is):
- forum 1: guests can post and write polls.
- forum 2: registered users can write/edit polls and guests can ony vote.

It should also work in the advanced editor now. And you can make multiple choice polls.

Votes are logged by username, and if you are not logged in by IP address.

There is also a small script which can be called through SSI (or in a PHP page).
Demo: http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/...poll.cgi?poll=latest

Comments/remarks are appreciated.

I only have to finish up a couple of things before I will release it. And I am still thinking of a good price....

Ivan
-----

Last edited by:

yogi: Mar 28, 2002, 3:21 AM
Quote Reply
Ahh.....colors are much cooler! .....fits in nicely now.

Looks very nice.
Quote Reply
Looks great, good work :)

Unfortunately it won't work for my site because we need to force people to reply with their vote on certain polls, but that's something that most sites wouldn't need anyway.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
What about the use of images to vote on in place of text?

Is it possible to show only the percentage and not the total votes?

Can the percentage be taken out a couple decimal points?

Thanks!

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Mar 28, 2002, 7:20 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Poll Plugin In reply to
In Reply To:
What about the use of images to vote on in place of text?

That's not currently supported. It would need some modifications to do that, but it's possible in principle without too much work.

In Reply To:
Is it possible to show only the percentage and not the total votes?

That can be done from in the templates.

In Reply To:
Can the percentage be taken out a couple decimal points?

Yes, I can make that an option (for the admin).

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Unfortunately it won't work for my site because we need to force people to reply with their vote on certain polls, but that's something that most sites wouldn't need anyway.

Yes, it's certainly not a common feature for polls that people have to reply with their vote. It makes the validation a lot simpler though, especially if you only allow registered users to reply. Are you allowing only one vote/reply per user? What about empty replies? Can anyone write a poll?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Thanks for the info.

It is a nice feature.
Quote Reply
I have poll permissions set by forum/group, so it's configurable who can post them. (In our case we have one forum where anyone can post polls, but in most our forums only mods or specifically designated people can) People can vote more than once, but only their first vote will register, and I took the reply button away if a post is a poll.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Just a quick note about the progress.

The plugin is basically finished. However, there is a small problem in it's interaction with the present version of GForum (version 1.1.3), but the problem will be fixed with version 1.1.4 of GForum.

I will release the plugin as soon as Gossamer Forum 1.1.4 is out. The price will probably be $20 for normal users. Non-profit sites can use it for free.

Feel free to post comments and/or feature requests in the meantime.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Good job, yogi! Looking forward to it's release.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Poll Plugin In reply to
I am happy to announce that the Poll plugin has been released. You can download it directly from your GForum administration area (Plugins -> Plugin Download -> List Plugins on GT).

Features (as a reminder):

• Ability to hold custom polls on your forum

• unlimited number of answers per poll

• multiple choice polls

• very flexible permission rules (voting, writing polls, editing polls can be set globally, but also on a per usergroup, per forum basis)

• track votes through IP address, cookies and/or username

• enable/disable polls

• put polls on your homepage (SSI, PHP)

The plugin can be evaluated for free during three days. If you wish to use it after this period, you have to register it. Registration costs USD 20. Non profit organizations can register for free. For details on how to pay/register, see "Plugins -> Poll -> About" in your adminstration area.

Please post comments/bugs/feature request here.

Acknowledgments: I would like to thank everyone who commented on it, and I am particularly indebted to Alex, Jason and Paul for their valuable feedback.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Ivan,

On my Win2000 install, I get the following error when attempting install:

Error running installation code: GT::Template::Inheritance (2784): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: Path templates/default does not exist or is not a directory at e:/heavybombers.com/heavybombers/forums/admin/GT/Config.pm line 293.

Regards,

Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Poll Plugin In reply to
Ivan, you can probably fix this by making sure any paths are full paths, not relative. i.e. use $CFG->{admin_root_path} . '/templates/default' instead of just ./tempaltes/default.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Sorry for the bug, try the new version, which I have just uploaded.

Could you then tell me, if it works please? Thanks.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Happy to oblige....and it installed w/ no problems. Now I'm going to play around with it. Congrats on a fine addition to the Gforum universe.
Quote Reply
Ivan,

Minor issue but one I found when I cranked up NS 6.2 to take a look at something. Notice the offset for your poll graphic bar in the NS window compared to its offset in the IE 6.1 window.

BTW: With this poll plugin under your belt, I bet you could fairly easily generate a forum note function too? Instead of having a poll placed at the top of a thread, you could have a moderator/administrator note placed at the top of a forum or category, but I digress. Cool

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: Apr 27, 2002, 8:56 AM
Quote Reply
1. You can change the way the graphic is displayed in the template "include_poll_results.html". You could add a " " before the images to create additional space.

2. Yes, that would indeed be possible. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write the code though.... maybe somebody else.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi

I think you've done a real nice job here, congrats!

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Poll Plugin In reply to
Hi Wil,

thanks a lot.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
I like the first reply to your poll there Scott. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Poll Plugin In reply to
My forehead gets sore from all the banging it does on my desktop Wink

My primary audience is 78-85 and then 40-60 yr olds....sometimes these high tech new fangled gadgets really throw them for a loop. But the number of senior citizens getting online is truly impressive.

But the poll plugin might be pushing the envelope a little too far :-)
Quote Reply
Scott,

I just noticed that there is a bug in the plugin installer, that has got to do with the language options.

I'll work on a solution, until then, please don't install/upgrade the plugin.....

Ivan
-----

Last edited by:

yogi: Apr 27, 2002, 12:16 PM
> > > >