Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Poll Plugin

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Poll Plugin In reply to
Yogi,
Maybe some suggestions for future functions... Wink
Is it possible to display how many people have voted and maybe just in my case, would it be possible to have a list of the last X number of people that voted (most people know each other so it wouldn't be too much of a problem) ?

Note : in the case of 'several choice' votes, it isn't always easy to tell how many people have participated.

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Poll Plugin In reply to
Yogi,
When the permissions are set so that only moderators can create a poll, are the post and edit functions available only to the creator or is it all moderators that can post and edit polls in other peoples' forums ?
I'm not sure I have completely grasped everything since I'm playing about with it at the moment...

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Poll Plugin In reply to
Moderators can edit posts, and they can also edit polls, but only in the forum they are moderating.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi!

Great plug in- thanks.

I read in the online About page, which shows how to call via PHP and SSI. I do not use either. Is it possible to just put a GT Link (<%path/to/gforum.cgi?do=poll_ssi;poll=poll_id%> or something like that in, or do you HAVE to use PHP and/or SSI?

Thanks! Sly
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Poll Plugin In reply to
Sorry Yogi- another question...

I decided to enable SSI on my main site, which is a Links SQL page. I added the correct call (<!--#include virtual="/path/to/gforum.cgi?do=poll_ssi;poll=latest"--> )

and nothing came up. Not being too familiar with SSI, I read up on it, and I see I need to tell the server that it is an SSI page, and to parse the page. Obviously, I cannot change http://www.bcdb.com/page.cgi into page.shtml... or can I? How would I make the main page on a Links SQL install run an SSI call?

Thanks!

Oh, and just to make my first post clearer, I also wanted to call the Poll and put it on the main page of the Forum install, and that is what that post is about...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase

Last edited by:

carfac: Jan 10, 2003, 1:05 PM
Quote Reply
For putting the poll on a static page, you would need to use SSI. For putting it on a dynamic page (generated by Links SQL), you could either use a global that displays the poll.

In order to put the poll on the main page of the forum install, you'd also need a global.

Tell me what you need, and I'll see if I can come up with something.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Yogi:

Do not want to be a hassle- sorry. Hopefully, the first would be easy...

I would like to put a weekly poll on the front page of the forum install the poll is in... that should be easy, I hope! Tongue

My second idea might be a bigger hassle, and if so, nevermind. My main site is www.bcdb.com, and that is a full, Links SQL 2.1 install... and I recently added a forum to that site that I put at forum.bcdb.com. Both are on the same basic machine (soone can access the other directly off the hard drive, but they are not in the same directories) I was hoping to put the weekly poll up there, too, to try and drive traffic over to the forum site.

Like I said, I know the second might be a big hassle, so don't worry if it is!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
How do you generate the homepage, i.e. http://www.bcdb.com/, it's not index.html, index.shtml, index.php, so what is it? It's important to know this, otherwise I don't know where to start.

I'll see what I can come up with for the poll in the forum. I'm a bit short on time at the moment, so I can't promise you anything....

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Yogi:

Time is NOT a problem... so do not worry about that!

http://www.bcdb.com/ is mod_rewrited to http://www.bcdb.com/page.cgi It is built from home.html in the templates directory.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I think do not bother... if there is not a quick and easy way to make it parsed by SSI, any other solution is going to be a TON of coding, and not worth the time you will expend. So do not worry about that...

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi,

Will Community require some changes to be done to the Poll Plugin? If so, when do you see us able to upgrade it?

Thanks

Brian

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jan 23, 2003, 11:10 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Poll Plugin In reply to
As far as I am aware, the poll plugin still works also with Community installed. Tell me if you come across a bug that might be Community related.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Thanks Yogi.

I figured that since you were working with community that you would already know.

Was an image option ever added for the poll plugin? IE: Images as answers

Thanks again. Great Plugin.
Quote Reply
Image support might be added when at some point, but not during the next few months. Sorry.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Thanks Ivan.

I look forward to that.

Brian
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi,

I was wondering if there is a way to either limit the length of a poll answer or allow a line break at X number of letters. When a long poll answer is added it pushes the poll graphics off the page to the right.

This would just clean it up a bit "looks wise" on the presentation.

Would it be easier to control the length of the graphic instead?

EDIT:
I also was wondering if there is a way to remotely place the polls that appear in GForum/CATX to LinksSQL CAT1 and allow direct voting from there (LinksSQL).

I am looking at more integration of the two programs for Community.

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Feb 8, 2003, 10:33 AM
Quote Reply
Have a look at the 'include_poll_results.html' template. In there you'll find something like

<%nbsp poll_answer_answer%>

If you remove the 'nbsp' bit, it should break at some point. Other than that, I don't know.

For the next version, I will put a function in the Poll plugin which you could call from a Links SQL template (through a global), to include a poll.

When? Soon!

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
OK, now I am drooling!Smile

Will this new global allow the assignment of category? CAT 1 polls to show on CAT B links category, etc... Or maybe an assignable tag for a template that allowed a person the ability to assign the category of polls to show?

That would be awesome!
EDIT: Of course with the ability to limit the number of polls to showWink

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Feb 8, 2003, 12:26 PM
Quote Reply
You will be able to specify various options.

- latest => displayes latest poll of whole forum
- forum => displayes latest poll in a particular forum
- specific => displays a specific poll
- random => displays random poll (maybe even within a forum)

You'd have to store the forum_id of the related forum in your Links Category table, then it should be no problem.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
That is VERY cool!

I am ready!Smile
Quote Reply
Was this ever released?

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Do you have a version of the poll with no graphics.

Otherwise, do you know anyone who has made a no-graphics version?
> >