Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Poll Plugin

(Page 4 of 5)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] New Version - 1.0.1 In reply to
Hi Yogi,

I remember asking about the ability to see only percentage of votes rather than vote count and total votes on a poll by poll basis. Some with, some without.

Is this possible? I don't see anything in the poll setup nor the creation of a poll.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] New Version - 1.0.1 In reply to
This is not possible on a poll by poll basis, only globally throught the templates (you get the number of votes and the percentage for every poll option). The template in question is include_poll_results.html.

I must have misunderstood you....

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Thanks Yogi,

Do you think that this might be available in a later version or would a special mod have to be done to make it a poll by poll basis?

This is a really nice plugin by the way.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
I might include this at some point, but certainly not in the next days/weeks, because I think this is not something that many users require.

So yes, it would have to be a special mod. What is the condition for displaying votes, and for displaying percentages?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
It would be great to have it available in the poll creation screen, giving the poll author the ability to choose from:

Display Percentage Only
Display Count Only
Display Both (default)

Another thing that may be handy is the ability to audit the vote.

Let's say that you hold a poll allowing only a certain group to vote. But the bote requires a certain percentage of the total group to vote for it to be recognized (such as a corporate board vote). Then you would have to match up the avaulable voters to who actually voted. So a list would have to be generated of the actual group voters that participated. Then a list could be printed of the available group and the two papers used to audit the vote.

Just an idea but I can see some professional applications for the plugin if some audit trails and setup options were in place.

Thanks again,
Quote Reply
So, for example if less than 50 percent of those who can vote did actually vote, you want to display what? And what do you want to display if more than fifty percent voted?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
That would actually be a different function altogether. But not a bad idea! If you were to compare available voters to actual votes and they exceeded the requirement (set during the poll creation) of 51 percent (as an example) then it could state "Vote Valid".

Then after the vote was completed and audited based upon the two lists (available voters and actual voters) the poll creator could stamp the poll (vote) "Vote Confirmed".

So the steps would be:

Poll Creator:
1. Adds poll, sets validity level (percentage required to make the vote valid), selects output format (votes, percent or both), selects a specific group for voting (or no group, or a group of groups) and selects a time frame for the vote (midnight the 1st through midnight the 2nd as an example).
2. Notification is sent out to members of selected groups with a link to the poll and a time frame under which the vote applies.

Voter:
1. Voter places their vote

Poll Creator:
3. Vote Closes and notice is placed on the poll "Voting Closed"
4. Votes are compared to available voters and if a threshold was set and reached a notice is placed on the poll "Vote Valid". Of the threshold was not met a notice is placed on the poll "Vote Invalid".
5. Vote audit ensues comparing the actual voter list to the available voter list. If audit is clean then a notice is placed on the poll "Vote Confirmed" of audit reveals an issue the a notice is placed on the poll of "Vote Not Confirmed".

Did that make sense?Crazy

With this kind of mod I guess it would be "Poll Plugin Corporate" or "Poll Plugin Professional" Smile

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jun 10, 2002, 7:46 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi,

Is it possible to extend the number used for percentages to include up to four places right of the decimal point in the view results?

Thanks,

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jun 10, 2002, 1:41 PM
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi,

I have had a few minutes with the Poll plugin now and have found this to be "One Trick plugin"

This plugin adds a tremendous amount of life to a forum. I only wish that there were more plugins developed with interaction as a focal point such as you have done with this.

Great Job!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Thanks a lot.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
>>I only wish that there were more plugins developed with interaction as a focal point such as you have done with this.<<

Don't forget MyLinks_DB Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] New Version - 1.0.1 In reply to
I'll check it out.

Thanks Paul
Quote Reply
Hi Ivan,

I am a bit lost on the permissions part. Where do I modify the permissions to make it where only registered users can vote and only moderators can create or modify?

As well, where do I make the change to allow for the XX.XXXX% rather than the XX%?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
from the ADMIN->plug ins

click EDIT next to the POLL plug in in the middle of your screen

not anything from the left menu.... ('about' will tell you what numbers represent for the different permission levels)

I had the same problem - enjoy your weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: [shiner] New Version - 1.0.1 In reply to
Thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
New Version - 1.0.2 In reply to
I have just put version 1.0.2 of the Poll plugin on the server.

There is one additional feature, you can now select the number of digits that is displayed of the percentage value of each vote.

There is no need to upgrade if you don't need this feature.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] New Version - 1.0.2 In reply to
Hi Yogi,

To do this upgrade would I need to do the following:

a. Uninstall the earlier version (completely or leave data?)

b. Delete the earlier version

c. Upload the new version

d. Install the new version

e. Repair

Does this sound right? And since mine is registered, do I have to do anything else special?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] New Version - 1.0.2 In reply to
You can do the following:

1. download the new version from the GT server.
2. install, completely, overwrite existing installation
3. done

But you already have the version with the decimal points for the percentage, so there is really no need to upgrade.

Registration remains valid of course, no need to do something special.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi,

I have the following:
Poll 1.0.1 yogi

Does this have the decimal point mod?

Thanks

Last edited by:

yogi: Nov 22, 2003, 6:01 AM
Quote Reply
Go to "Plugins -> Poll -> Edit" in your admin area, and check if you have the options "percentage_post" and "percentage_pre".

If they are there, you effectively have 1.0.2, even if it says 1.0.1 on your copy.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Nope!

No percentage_!

I will need the upgrade then.

Thanks Yogi!
Quote Reply
Yes. But it shouldn't be a problem. Nothing will be deleted.

Ivan
-----

Last edited by:

yogi: Jul 2, 2002, 12:35 PM
Quote Reply
Yogi,

I installed your poll plugin and I am configuring to work with GT forum.

I'm a bit confused about this instruction

Add a "New Poll" button: in forum_view.html, insert (three times)

When I do this I get three identical buttons that say new is that correct.

Thanks

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] New Version - 1.0.2 In reply to
You'll have to add the code in three different places in the template. One will appear at the top of the displayed page, the other one at the bottom, and the third is displayed if no post are there yet.

I doesn't really make sense to put the three buttons all at the same place... Wink

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Yogi,

The instructions only indicate one location to place the code in the forum_view.html template.

Code:
just before

<input type="submit"<%unless user_forum_permission >= 5%>

disabled<%endif%> name="do=post_write;forum=<%forum_id%>"

value="Post New" class="submit">

What are the other locations

Andre
my Christian web
> > > >