Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Modification/Plug-in challenge

Quote Reply
Modification/Plug-in challenge
What would it take to control of the display depth of individual categories? While you can control the view in a limited fashion as a user, what about an ability to do this at the administration level for overall site look and feel?

Take the lay out below. Say you want to keep "Primary category 1" expanded fully, have "Primary category 2" collapsed to show "Secondary categories 1 & 2", and have "Primary category 3" collapsed entirely?

Currently, the default view would have the entire forum branched out. You might want to control display depth for aesthetic reasons. Or say there were 10 forums (or more) per each category which created significant page load size?

Ideally, you would want to control this from Admin/Forum List. Failing that, what other short term alternatives might there be?

Does this make sense and might anybody be interested in tackling it?
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Modification/Plug-in challenge In reply to
The thing you want can already be done. For every category, you can select "Show forums in main forum list" (in the admin area). If you select "No", the forums are not displayed on the main page.

With this method, however, all users are presented just the category title, and users that are logged in cannot expand the category. Apart from that, is this what you want?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Modification/Plug-in challenge In reply to
Thanks Ivan, I didn't even know that was there. I'll have to play around with it and see if it works the way I want.

At first blush, users might want to be able to over-ride that.

-Scott

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: Apr 3, 2002, 6:50 AM