Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Guestbook or Wall Plug-in?

Quote Reply
Guestbook or Wall Plug-in?
Heya all,

Has anyone created a guestbook or "wall" plugin that'll allow users to posts comments (or write on a users wall) to be displayed on a users profile in the forums? Looking for something similar to what you see in most social networking sites like Facebook or Myspace. Smile

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Guestbook or Wall Plug-in? In reply to
Hi,

Sounds interesting :)

So something like they click on the users profile - and it shows xx guestbook entries (and span pages, if needed). Then, has somewhere that logged in users can post their guestbook entries?

May be something I'd think about doing =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Guestbook or Wall Plug-in? In reply to
Yup - you've got it. Basically want the same kind of functionality you see on Faceboook:

Initial features:

* User must be logged in to post to wall
* Display last X entries on profile
* Post/write/submit a new guestbook entry
* User can delete entries from his/her wall
* Link to "View all Entries"
* User can disable wall postings for his/her profile alltogether

Advanced features may include

* Poster mark entry as "private" (so only the person who's profile it is can see it)
* Ban certain users from posting to my wall
* Allow only people with certain "flag" in db (example "friends=1") to post / view my entries
* CAPCHA protection to post
* Log user actions. ie. Be able to show who's written in who's wall.

Admin features:

* Set max number of entries / user or 0 for unlimited
* Allow HTML/markup/text only
* Allow image tags / not

.... you know, that kind of stuff. Laugh

All we really need to get this off the ground is the initial set of features above. You build it, and I'll buy it. Wink

Safe swoops
Sangiro

Last edited by:

sangiro: Feb 21, 2008, 2:30 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Sounds good - I'll see what I can put together =) May be able to get a beta version out today, just depends on how hard it is to do / complications that may arise, etc :D

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
* Allow HTML/markup/text only

I'm not so sure that allowing HTML would be a good idea. All it would take is someone to mess up a tag, and it would throw the whole design off =)

Also, I'm thinking about an "admin validation" system, where the admin have to approve new entries? (this will be optional, i.e you can set it to auto-validate them)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Feb 21, 2008, 6:15 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
I'm not so sure that allowing HTML would be a good idea. All it would take is someone to mess up a tag, and it would throw the whole design off =)

Yup - not something that I would probably ever turn on either but though others may want it.

Quote:
Also, I'm thinking about an "admin validation" system, where the admin have to approve new entries? (this will be optional, i.e you can set it to auto-validate them

Speaking just for me we are unlikely to validate one-lined guestbook entries - but I do think this would be a good tool to help fight abuse if it really gets down to the wire. Smile

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just an update =)

Initial features:

* User must be logged in to post to wall [ DONE ]
* Display last X entries on profile [ DOING NOW ]
* Post/write/submit a new guestbook entry [ DONE ]
* User can delete entries from his/her wall [ DONE ]
* Link to "View all Entries" [ DONE ]
* User can disable wall postings for his/her profile alltogether [ DONE ]

Advanced features may include

* Poster mark entry as "private" (so only the person who's profile it is can see it) [ DONE ]
* Ban certain users from posting to my wall [ DONE ]
* Allow only people with certain "flag" in db (example "friends=1") to post / view my entries - Going to do this as a custom mod for you (as per our communications)
* CAPCHA protection to post [ DONE ]
* Log user actions. ie. Be able to show who's written in who's wall. [ DONE ]

Admin features:

* Set max number of entries / user or 0 for unlimited [ DONE ]
* Allow HTML/markup/text only [ SEMI-WORKING ON ]
* Allow image tags / not [ NOT SURE I'M GONNA ADD THIS - as it'll be either markup on/off)

Just to keep people up-to-date =)

I'll update this post as I get further on.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Feb 22, 2008, 7:30 AM
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
Hi,

Just an update =)

Hi Andy,
wow, I would like to see such an update on gforum or glinks ;-)
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=300459#p300459

Andy, I think you don't need updates like this. Because your very fast in realizing your plugins.
Spare your time or whatever you say in english ;-))

Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Guestbook or Wall Plug-in? In reply to
heheh Cool

It actually helps a bit in the development process, as I can see what I've still got to do <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Wow, that's brilliant! Thanks a lot Andy. Thank you also fror the great update. I'll play around with the links you sent me here over the next few hours and send you some feedback.

I have to say you knocked this one off at lightning speed. Respect. Cool

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
Wow, that's brilliant! Thanks a lot Andy. Thank you also fror the great update. I'll play around with the links you sent me here over the next few hours and send you some feedback.

Great, I look forward to hearing some feedback :)

I've just put the final touches to it - minus the "markup" stuff (not sure if thats a must have?). Personally - I would only allow basic markup (i.e b, i, u) - otherwise people will start abusing it :P)

I'm also trying to figure out how the heck to get rid of those annoying "1"'s showing at the bottom of all the templates - really annoying me :(

Quote:
I have to say you knocked this one off at lightning speed. Respect

heheh - thanks. No point in dilly dallying :D

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

All done =)

http://www.ultranerds.com/...um.cgi?username=Andy

If people could give it a look over, and any feedback is appreciated =) I've turned on ALL the features - so you can see what is available.

There's quite a few new cool features I've added in too, including a "preview" of their entry, before posting it. I've also got the BBCode working Cool

I've also made it so you can turn pretty much all the main features on / off in the admin - i.e allowing BBCode, allowing Smilies, CAPTCHA being required/not

Look forward to some feedback Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk