Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Dumper output
So if I use the GT::Dumper module in my plugin, where does the output go? Trying to debug a plugin...

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [selk] Dumper output In reply to
Code:
use GT::Dumper;
print Dumper($data);

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Dumper output In reply to
Dear Jason,

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's exactly what I did in my code. But where does the print output go since I suppose it would be run under apache and there is no console.

It's just probably in one of the apache logs or somethin, but I wasn't able to see it so I suppose somebody would know right off the top of their head.

I'll keep looking though.
Quote Reply
It will just print it out to the browser.

You might want to do: print $IN->header(); beforehand, just in case the header hasn't been printed yet.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hi,

Thanks, did it but still nothing happens.

Maybe my problem is I'm hooking up my plugin in the wrong place. I'm trying to create a plugin that will be invoked everytime there is a new entry to a forum, either new post, reply to an existing post, or editing an existing post. And I'm hooking it up on post_cant_attach method, as POST processing. Is this the right place to put the hook?

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
The best way to do it would be to use hooks on do_post_post, do_post_reply_post, and do_post_edit_post, which correspond to GForum::Post::Write::post, GForum::Post::Write::reply_post, and GForum::Post::Write::edit_post, respectively.

The "post_cant_attach" plugin is simply used to determine whether or not you are allowed to make attachments to posts.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Aha!!! Thank you very much. I'll give those a try.

BTW, as you can probably tell I'm new at this. I have gone through the docs, the 3 sample plugins, and even the sources in GForum themselves but I obviously missed them. Without you, I wouldn't have figured this out. How could have I done this myself? I'm asking because there maybe other hooks I'd be interested only if I know they existed.

Again, thanks for the tremendous help so far.
Quote Reply
If you go into the admin panel and go to Setup -> Actions it lists all of the various actions (for example, post_write). EVERY action has a plugin hook on it - so, for example, do_post_write is the plugin hook on the "post_write" action.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Oh wow! There's plenty, I'm like a kid in a candy storeSmile

BTW, back to the original subject of the thread, I was able to get the Dumper output to work. It helped me a lot in figuring out what is passed in to my hook method. And I already finished my very first plugin, it wasn't painful at all!

Thanks again for all the help.