Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Private Message Folders? In reply to
sounds oneself well
linktobuy Web Directory
Ratgeber Recht
Quote Reply
I am getting there with this plugin :)

I've now got a "Sent" folder, as well as the option to search the "sent" PM's.

A couple of bug fixes (the counting wasn't being done quite correctly, and there was also a problem with the default values in the PM entry).

I'm gonna try and get a "Bulk Move" option setup too (there is a feature to move ALL your unassigned PM's into a folder of your choice; but not an option to move xx posts into xx folder, all at once).

Another thing I would like to know. What kind of formatting would people like PM's to be downloadable in? CSV, pipe delimited?

Also, as Sangaro suggested... a "Search This Folder" option, so they can narrow down their searches even move.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I was going to not bother putting span pages in. ... but I decided I would give it a go today ;)

I've now managed to get span pages working when viewing a specific folder (user definable, by passing nh=xx so=xx etc along in the query string). This gives the plugin a lot more power.

I'm also working on a "bulk move", so you can transfer "searched" PM's as well as by just going into a category, and selecting which PM's you would like to move.

I'll keep everyone posted :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

i wait for this Plugin and hope its works fine.
Every day i look in this posting.

hoefti
linktobuy Web Directory
Ratgeber Recht
Quote Reply
Re: [hoefti] Private Message Folders? In reply to
Hi.

Quote:
Every day i look in this posting.

:)

I'll get there. I just want to make it with as many features as possible, so it has something for everyone :)

I should have a finished product by the end of this week (maybe earlier).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [hoefti] Private Message Folders? In reply to
I've now got a working version :)

The "Readme" has been finished, as well as a quite nice little touch .... a FAQ's page Smile

I'm just about to send the current version over to my beta tester's, and then see how it goes from there.

The current demo can be found here: http://ultranerds.com/...cgi?do=message_list;

If all goes well, then we could have a release tomorrow/Thursday :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Add a new Folder and it gives a Message Count Of 1 There already with no messages there. Navigating to that newly created folder has

You have 1 message: • 0 NEW • 0 READ • 0 REPLIED

Your folders;
Inbox (0) Sent Items (0) Test (1) [ remove ]

This is FYI.

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Private Message Folders? In reply to
In Reply To:
Add a new Folder and it gives a Message Count Of 1 There already with no messages there. Navigating to that newly created folder has

You have 1 message: • 0 NEW • 0 READ • 0 REPLIED

Your folders;
Inbox (0) Sent Items (0) Test (1) [ remove ]

This is FYI.

HyTC

Thanks dude... I'll get that fixed up :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
No Worries. BETA Testing Already :)
Just a query more inspired by the VBulletin stuff.
Is this going to be having some sort of Admin Control on Capping (by Space or number of messages at least)?

HyTC
Quote Reply
Quote:
No Worries. BETA Testing Already :)

LOL!

Quote:
Is this going to be having some sort of Admin Control on Capping (by Space or number of messages at least)?

The only current options are;

1) ValidCharachters - 0-9 a-z A-Z -_ and space
2) Folder limit - default 10, but if set to 0, then it won't limit the number of folders you can add.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Perhaps i sounded too unlear on the capping issue. Question was "Limiting With Respect To Space / Number Of Messages" by the Admin (globally of course) so that once any user steps over this Admin set limit, then Messages Have To Be deleted before any new message can be accepted.

Yes Folder limiting is an additional feature over VBulletin's parallel...

HyTC
Quote Reply
Ah, I'm not sure. Arn't people already limited by this factor in the admin panel? (I could be totally wrong).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Digging through the details leads to following as available Admin Imposeable restrictions:

Attachment Settings:
The maximum number of private message attachments that will be stored on the server. Use a value of 0 to allow unlimited attachments.

Private Message Settings: If enabled, users may attach files to private messages.

So nothing really which lets Admin impose a direct limit on "Number Of Messages" ...unless i am missing something pretty obvious

HyTC
Quote Reply
Mmm..I'll take a look into it :)

I'm not sure how easy/possible it will be in a plugin .. as I don't actually re-work the way that PM's are currently sent/recived; so its a little hard to do a count, and then "bounce" the PM back (so to speak).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Easier workaround (perhaps easier said than done :) ):
  1. Admin Sets A Limit On Number Of Messages (Total) : X
  2. As Soon As X Number Of Messages Are Recd, The User Profile Has The "Allow Private Messages: updated to No" With Message Displayed Right On category_list.html and also on Messages Section in "Bold Red" that No More Messages Would Be Recd Unless The Messages Are Deleted as soon as user logs in.
  3. As Soon Message Count goes down below X on account of Deletion of exisitng messages, Allow Private Messages: updated to Yes in the Profile Section.
  4. As a consequence of 2, you need not have to handled bouncing of PM .... sender would get an "Indication" that Message can't be sent as soon as he/she clicks on Send ...

Smile
HyTC
Quote Reply
Quote:
Easier workaround (perhaps easier said than done :) ):

Yup =)

Quote:
Admin Sets A Limit On Number Of Messages (Total) : X
As Soon As X Number Of Messages Are Recd, The User Profile Has The "Allow Private Messages: updated to No" With Message Displayed Right On category_list.html and also on Messages Section in "Bold Red" that No More Messages Would Be Recd Unless The Messages Are Deleted as soon as user logs in.
As Soon Message Count goes down below X on account of Deletion of exisitng messages, Allow Private Messages: updated to Yes in the Profile Section.
As a consequence of 2, you need not have to handled bouncing of PM .... sender would get an "Indication" that Message can't be sent as soon as he/she clicks on Send ...

The addition of a new user field would be easy... its just the checking that not (as it would require yet more hooks to be added in) to handle the sending of a PM (it would need to be done as a "count" when sending the PM ... so a user would get an error saying "the user you are trying to send this PM to cannot receive any more PM's until they remove a few old one").

I'll have a look at it (may be able to hook it in on the do_func stuff, and then only when someone send's a PM, it does the extra check). Would also need something on the user side of things, so that it says "you have run out of space, and cannot receive any more PM's until you delete some old messages".

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
The Table already keeps a count of private messages on user basis (Received and Sent).
Admin imposed entry would perhaps go in Config/Data.pm

So the Control could be:

Sender : Gets the error message when he initiates the Send PM (recepient still not selected) in case he is over quota or if the recepient is known (for a case where sender cliecks Send PM from users' details page) at this stage and if the recepient is over quota then the error message wrt recepient is displayed. This would Warn a user much before the Message Composing Starts.

A user would still try to test it out, Compose a Message and Try to Send ... Error Message (combination of the above whichever applies) and Message delivery not completed if either or is satisfied. Some PRE Hook on do=message :)

Additional user column becomes necessary in case you plan to add userwise limit setting...

HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Aug 27, 2004, 10:51 AM
Quote Reply
Yeah, I'm already working on this :)

For some reason.. the do_func hooks doesn't seem to get read when accessing message_preview and message_send Unimpressed

The code is in there already, and as far as I can tell, should work fine. Its just getting it to call the function :(

Also, the "count" bug should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting it :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Getting there :)

I have literally 1 more bug that I know about to fix up, and then send it off for some more testing :)

Features are pretty vast now;

+ Ability to limit the advanced PM features (folders, search, etc) to a specific group (i.e admin, "special group", or pretty much any custom group you want). All you need is an ID number for th group you want to give access too.
+ Got the documentation written up as well as I can :)
+ Limit the charachters a user can put into a folder name: a-zA-Z0-9_- and space.
+ Template based.
+ Inbox/Sent/Custom folders
+ Easy "quick move" feature, to get the PM's into a new custom folder.
+ and more Cool

Also, I tried adding in the PM limitation code, but it got quite messy, and a couple of the more simple features got "knocked out" by it. I've given up on this part I'm afraid :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Just been speeding it all up quite a bit more (just ask Sangiro :p).

Also, wanted to say thanks to Alex for his help with this :) His feedback has speed it up by probably 75% (he showed me a way to remove a lot of the rubbish, which could be handled just as well, probably better, by GForum).

I've also re-worked the counting system a bit too. Rather than compiling the figures each time; there is now a field in the database, which re-compiles their folder counts each time these parts are used, which speeds it up a lot, as it doesn't have to do several Table counts for each folder.

There are also a few more subtle changes, but all in all... this little (big) beauty seems to be working great :)

Sorry for the delay in getting a final release out ... but its better to get it done right first of all, rather than having to go back several times at a later date, to fix up bugs that should have been fixed up in the first versions.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >