Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts

Quote Reply
[PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of RemoveUnusedAccounts.

This plugin lets you remove unused accounts on your forum, and even inactive accounts for xx days (regardless of their post count). Both of these options are configurable. A "test" mode is also built in, so you can make sure its only going to remove the accounts you want removed <G>

More details can be found here: http://ultranerds.com/...bin/details/160.html

This plugin is also part of the GForum Ultra Package, which can be found here: http://ultranerds.com/...bin/details/146.html

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts In reply to
Hi Andy:

This sounds interesting .... just wondering though, how would this fit in with Community? I imagine it may cause some problems.??

Thanks,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] [PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts In reply to
Hi,

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing yesterday, in terms of GLinks and GComm. However, as you say, there would be problems with it, as not everyone, for example... adds a link every xx days. The same for GComm users, although I guess it could work, where it deactivates accounts that have been inactive in the programs for say 365 days (which would normally indicate its not going to be use again). However, if linked in with GLinks, then there would be problems again, as people who create an account just to add a link, won't actually necesserily be active again (I guess it really depends on your sites workings. i.e if you don't mind peoples accoutns being deactivated after xx days, assuming they havn't added any more links; not to mention if you have any custom globals that would look up the users account (for more details) based on $LinkOwner.

Bit of a dilema one really.. so not something I bothed looking into much further Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Andy:

I think a really good solution would be:-

Plugin to delete 'inactive' users within Community (no logins for say 6 months) with one further test - do they own any 'links'.

That would be the only proviso. Obviously if they are 'coming in' via Community, you wouldn't really want to delete them in Gforum as 'one day' they may actually want to post a question.

I suppose some of this depends on the future development of GComm - but things have been 'very' quiet on that front.

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] [PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts In reply to
Hi,

Interesting concept =) One thing I'll have to do, is take a look at how the application stuff works (i.e this will probably only be any good for GLinks and GForum "link ins", rather than DBManSQL, and other GT products (which I'd imagine they'll be bringing out soon, such as GList etc).

I'll have a look at this tomorrow morning, and post an update on how it looks :) In theory its a simple task, but thats just in theory <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Nice Andy, as usual, Wink

Sounds interesting if there was also a solution for people that combine Links, GForum and GCommunity.

Count me in as an interested party Smile

Thanks,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] [PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts In reply to
My 2 cents:

I confronted this "not wanting to delete Links link owners" problem this way:

I created a new class of user: Closed. I updated code in GComm to pass this down to Forum and Links. Now, I can close an account, which then inactivates them, unsubscribes then from EVERYTHING (Forum Subs, maling lists, etc) but does not delete anything they have added to Links.

Ultimately, I think what would work better (and help clear out the dead wood, as this system does not) is to have a "Delete and reassign Links Owned) in Links- and reassign any links to admin on a Close/Delete.
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] [PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts In reply to
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that input, that sounds a really good way of handling it, we just need to persuade Andy to do a modified version of his plug-in for Community now Wink

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] [PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts In reply to
I did mine as just editing the code in GCom- never figured out how to write plug ins for GCom.

I would be happy to make my code available to anyone who can turn it into a plug in.

Other things I have done:

Fixed it so any updates to GComm get added into Links and Forum- like one can subscribe/unsubscribe to the Mailers will update all.
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] [PLUGIN] RemoveUnusedAccounts In reply to
Hi Dave,

i also updated code in GCom to update Links.

I followed some code I found on the forum here somewhere to update links with a specific value so that the person can update from Community and thus updating Links, whether or not he receives notification about reviews posted, a) for a link he/she created and b) for a link where he/she posted a review (this is a plug-in I'm working on with Andy and is nearly finished).

Sorry going slightly off topic here but I would be very interested to learn how to go about the updating sequences you describe, that I also think look pretty sound an logical IMHO Wink

Cheers,

John
Significant Media