Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Pre Sales :

pulling data onto static pages

Quote Reply
pulling data onto static pages
I'd like to acquire DBMan SQL but first need to know whether I can accomplish the following with it:

In one section of the site, language schools worldwide register and add their entries to the database - that's easy. Wink

Another part of the site will show language schools in different countries - for the sake of simplicity say 1 page per country. That page should be a "static" page, but a part of the page should "pull" info from the database, simply listing the schools within that country.

The main question is: can I pull specific data from the DBMan SQL database and display it on a STATIC page? I'm not looking for search functions or anything fancy at the display end.

Many thanks, Jo
Quote Reply
Re: [iplay] pulling data onto static pages In reply to
Hi,

Yes, you can use SSI to pull data from DBMan SQL. i.e. to pull the first 25 records that match a given category, you could put:

<!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/dbmansql/db.cgi?db=yourdatabase;do=search_results;Country=SomeCountry;mh=25"-->

You can also use the multi template feature to have it formatted just the way you want.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] pulling data onto static pages In reply to
Many thanks. May I ask two followup questions, please:

1. Am I right in thinking that SSI's can't call from another web site/domain (if I wanted to have one central database and pull data to several sites)?

2. I think I figured out a way to do this using inline frames, where the frame just calls a url something like:

http://www.SomeOtherSite.com/...ry=SomeCountry;mh=25

This doesn't need ssi but would it be regarded as good practice?

Thanks again. Unsure

Thanks,
--Jo
Quote Reply
Re: [iplay] pulling data onto static pages In reply to
Hi,

1. Normally, yes, however if it's a dedicated server, then you can get around this. For instance, on your machine, you can setup:

ProxyPass /cgi-bin/dbmansql/ http://someotherserver/cgi-bin/dbmansql/

Then when you do a:

<!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/dbmansql/"-->

Apache will actually send the SSI request to the other server.

Frames is also an option if you are not on Apache or not on a dedicated server.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] pulling data onto static pages In reply to
Many thanks for your help. Smile jo