Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Pre Sales :

questions about relational databases

Quote Reply
questions about relational databases
Hi,

I have some questions about how relations are supported (I will use authors and books as expamples in my questions):
- Does the system fully support many to many relations?
- When a user is at the overview page of an author, can I add a link to the list of books written by that author?
- When a user is at the overview page of a book, can I add a link to the author of that book?
- When a user is at the overview page of an author, can I add a link to add a book by that author (so the user does not have to know/remember the author id)?
- Is it possible to add a combobox with all authors in the 'edit book' page? (I would actually use this for adding a combobox of countries from a table of countries)
- is it possible to disallow to change the author of a book?
- is it possible to only allow adding a new book from the 'add book' link on the 'show author' page?
- where can I find a demo of a database where relations are implemented as mentioned above?

One unrelated question. My current (pgsql) database is used in many ways, so I cannot change or add any column to the current tables. What are the requirements for these tables?

Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: [jaspercram] questions about relational databases In reply to
Hi,

In Reply To:
Does the system fully support many to many relations?
Yes, DBman SQL can handle the many to many relations.

In Reply To:
- When a user is at the overview page of an author, can I add a link to the list of books written by that author?
Definitely.

In Reply To:
- When a user is at the overview page of a book, can I add a link to the author of that book?
- When a user is at the overview page of an author, can I add a link to add a book by that author (so the user does not have to know/remember the author id)?
- Is it possible to add a combobox with all authors in the 'edit book' page? (I would actually use this for adding a combobox of countries from a table of countries)
- is it possible to only allow adding a new book from the 'add book' link on the 'show author' page?
Actually, it will gererate a drop-down menu from primary_table on related_table's forms (add, modify, search..) automatically. E.g: the author dropdown will be added in the book forms.

In Reply To:
No, you might have to customize the code a little bit.

In Reply To:
- where can I find a demo of a database where relations are implemented as mentioned above?
Unfortunatelly, we have not released the relational version of DBMan SQL yet which we are still working on the manual, hopefully it will be done soon. But you can have a look at it on our web-site:

Admin section: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...bsql/admin/admin.cgi

User: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...dbsql/db.cgi?db=Book

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] questions about relational databases In reply to
This is EXCELLENT news for all DBMan SQL users who have been confectioning 'pseudo' relational dbs. Great going Gossamer!!
Thanks in advanceSmile
Quote Reply
This is good news!!!!!!!

Can you give us an idea when it will be released???????

Simon.
Quote Reply
Great! Do you reccomend me to wait until the new version is finished, or can I start implementing the new version now? If not, can you give me any estimation about how long it will take until I can start implementing the software?

http://www.bookings.org
Quote Reply
Those demos for the relational version are sexy as hell! (God, I'm a geek...) Anyway, it looks like DBManSQL is poised to more than redeem itself for any historical shortcomings.

One quick question: the user-end demo has a shopping cart feature setup. I've looked at the admin end, and I do see tables for orders and such, but a full-blown shopping cart system seems like it would require more than just 2 tables. Is the demo perhaps also showcasing a new plugin in the works?? Or is the "shopping cart" in the demo just a non-fully-functional implementation of some nifty relationships? I know there's been talk of a shopping cart plugin for LinksSQL, but I wasn't aware of it being developed for DBManSQL as well.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] questions about relational databases In reply to
Anyone stumbling across this thread... Looks like my question was eventually answered here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=219833#219833

(For those too impatient to click - it's just showcasing relationships, not a full shopping cart plugin.)

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund