Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Pre Sales :

In search of tools, utilities, tutorials ...

Quote Reply
In search of tools, utilities, tutorials ...
Moving on to the next level with MySQLMan and MySQL...

I have had MySQLMan working for about a month. It has allowed me to quickly populate databases with 1,000's of records. Now I need to move on "to the next level" of being able to do things like set a field to allow only certain values (the "SET" statement empowered with allowed entries), to present the data to the user in a GUI format (must I learn GTK+ or Qt to accomplish this?), to manipulate data so that it is entered only once but can be displayed in multiple tables based on key values (if this is a "JOIN" statement is this supported within MySQLMan?).

Anyhow, I'm ready to go to the "next level". Can somebody beam me up? Or at least point me to a good book for using Perl with MySQL, or advanced tools? A tutorial on using DBI with a Perl front end might be good, but I'd like to remain above ground wherever possible. Blush

Finally, what is DBMan? Maybe this is the type of utility set which I am seeking? TIA,

Andrew C Lietzow - The ACL Group, Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [alietzow] In search of tools, utilities, tutorials ... In reply to
Here are some books on my bookshelf that I have found useful, along with a few bookmarks I have lurking around.

Hope this helps.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] In search of tools, utilities, tutorials ... In reply to
www.perlmonks.org is awesome. Of course, this puts me on a direct path into the "black hole" of web programming, but at least I can get started with a debugger! I'm finally able to use a perl debugger, thanks to your tip.

I have "Programming the Perl DBI" and will continue to try and absorb the details it offers. It's been over my head for 1-1/2 years now, but I'm gaining on it. I have a "Perl and CGI for the WWW", (Elizabeth Castro), and a perl monk pointed me toward Ovid's tutorials. What's unfortunate is that even the published scripts in documentation have their problems with <perl -d> and <use strict;>

SO... to sum this up... Thanx Wil! These were very good tips. If there were just more hours in a day... but then that is probably what DBM SQL is for. The big question is how much do I want to learn to do myself vs outsource?

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [alietzow] In search of tools, utilities, tutorials ... In reply to
That's a good question. Over the past year or so I have learnt a lot from experience. I used to always do everything myself, or inhouse, and spent time trying to learn, hack, post messages in forums asking for help etc. While it was fun (in fact I loved it!) it didn't really make economical sense.

I often outsource things these days. I'm always trying to be very aware of my time, and how much my time costs, and at the end of the day it's probably a better idea just to outsource to a good programming company or person and get the job done fast and efficently. You'll save yourself hours of your time - time that would probably be better spent doing something else, less fun ;-).

So, nowdays I restrict my Perl to my own time and still play with it for fun mostly, but I now outsource all major projects. Small hacks I can now manage without too much of trouble, but any major project I try not to re-invent the wheel. The wheel has already got shiny spokes and alloy trimms on it :-)

Glad you found the links useful. There are very many knowledble and talented people over at http://www.perlmonks.org and it#s a great fun learning environment. But, this could also be said of these forums. So, stick around and see how you get on. A lot of us have been there ourselves and are more than happy to help.

Rgds

- wil