Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

contentious

Quote Reply
contentious
we currently use dbman to maintain a business directory and i-websystems ilink to manage a tree of links (competitor) ilink uses a system of html templates with custom tags rather than subroutine calls like dbman ... is there any way of converting dbman sql to work with a templates system?

We're trying to cobble together a community based content management system - even handling news postings reviews and ratings in one database. I'd be interested to hear if any1 else is doing something similar .etc the end goal is to have everything feeding off 1 relational mysql database but displayed in different ways (depending on the content) in a magazine style format with banners / news articles polls surrounding everything.

I'm just a student doing a placement with this firm but i'm trying my best to come up with some kind of solution.That doesn't cost 100k like the cms systems i've looked at.

cheers,

Giles.

Quote Reply
Re: contentious In reply to
In Reply To:
We're trying to cobble together a community based content management system - even handling news postings reviews and ratings in one database. I'd be interested to hear if any1 else is doing something similar .etc the end goal is to have everything feeding off 1 relational mysql database but displayed in different ways (depending on the content) in a magazine style format with banners / news articles polls surrounding everything.
You would have to edit DBMAN SQL (by adding subs in the db.cgi and html.pl files) to get additional content into your web site. In addition, you would have to add more tables in your MySQL database.

So, the simple answer is YES, with a lot of work, you can do this with DBMAN SQL...keep in mind that it is not a robust content management system (like Vignette).

Regards,

Eliot Lee