Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

upgrading to DBman SQL

Quote Reply
upgrading to DBman SQL
Hi All,
did any of you guys upgrade to the SQL version after using the normal version? How complicated is this?

My DBMan currently has a lot of mods installed, would I loose all of these if I installed the new version? Also, what about data conversion, does it have to be done by hand or is there an easier way?

all help is appreciated.

Siceman

Quote Reply
Re: upgrading to DBman SQL In reply to
In Reply To:
did any of you guys upgrade to the SQL version after using the normal version?
Yep...with many Mods installed in the "normal" version (they are both "normal", BTW...the other version is the flat file version...better description than "normal").

In Reply To:
How complicated is this?
I attempted to "upgrade" about a year and half ago before I learned about MySQL, SQL, strict Perl, mod_perl, etc., and it was not easy...to say the least. If you have no Perl and SQL knowledge...be prepared for a challenge. Although you should ask Gossamer Threads to install your initial tables and get your script running...you will be responsible for upgrading Mods, but they can help you with setting up the MySQL stuff.

In Reply To:
My DBMan currently has a lot of mods installed, would I loose all of these if I installed the new version?
Most of the MODS written for the flat file version of DBMAN will work just fine in the SQL version. HOWEVER, any extra MODS that you have added that "opens, writes to, deletes from, or reads" 'database' files will have to be written with SQL statements to access the appropriate table within your MySQL database.

In Reply To:
Also, what about data conversion, does it have to be done by hand or is there an easier way?
What do you mean by "conversion"? Do you mean upgrading your flat files (.db) into the appropriate MySQL table? If so, then it is not a lot of work...the DBMAN SQL license comes with an "upgrade" script that will take data from your flat files and upload them into appropriate MySQL tables. If you mean for the Modifications...you will need to edit the files BY HAND (i.e., recode them).

Good luck...and next time search the DBMAN forums more carefully because this has been addressed, discussed, and answered many times in the DBMAN CUSTOMIZATION FORUM.

Regards,

Eliot Lee