Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

Error when installing DBMan-Sql

Quote Reply
Error when installing DBMan-Sql
I get the following error when trying to run the nph-setup.cgi for the first time:

DBMan SQL Setup
Let's check your setup and create the neccessary tables.

CHECKING Setup:
loading your db.cfg file ... ok.
checking perl 5.004 or better ... ok
checking for DBI module ... ok
trying to connect to database ... Failed. Unable to connect to database. Reason: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) at nph-setup.cgi line 83.

Any ideas - there was no readme file with the package.

thanks!

---------
Donm

Quote Reply
Re: Error when installing DBMan-Sql In reply to
In Reply To:
I get the following error when trying to run the nph-setup.cgi for the first time:

DBMan SQL Setup

CHECKING Setup:
trying to connect to database ... Failed. Unable to connect to database. Reason: Can't
connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) at
nph-setup.cgi line 83.
Check in your cfg file for these lines and change what's in blue to match your setup:

# The second and third parameters are username/password if needed.
@db_connect = ("DBI:mysql:database name name:domain name", "mysql usename", "mysql password");

Hope this helps.

easy does it
Quote Reply
ok - now I get this far and nothing else...

DBMan SQL Setup

CHECKING Setup:
trying to connect to database ... ok.
checking for users table ... can't find
dropping and recreating ...

It seems to stop right there.

-----------------
donm

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
ok - now I get this far and nothing else...
Please place a copy of your db.cfg in a publically accessible web directory so that we can view it to see what's wrong. Blank out the info that I gave you in the previous post for obvious security reasons. Name it something like db.cfg.txt and then post the URL to it. This way we'll achieve a quick resolution without having to guess at the problem.

easy does it
Quote Reply
ok I have placed the file at the following URL:

http://cocoahighalumni.com/dbmansql.cfg.txt

Another question I have regarding DBManSQL is after this is all setup - what are the steps in converting our existing "flat-file" version of DBMan over to the SQL version.

There is no Readme file or anything that gives any steps about how to do this.

thanks!

donm

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
ok I have placed the file at the following URL:
http://cocoahighalumni.com/dbmansql.cfg.txt
Looks okay...After you run nph-setup do you get a message at the bottom that says something to the effect "Congratulations your database is all setup - go to http://your domain/db.cgi?db=db and login as admin/admin?

In Reply To:
Another question I have regarding DBManSQL is after this is all setup - what are the steps in converting our existing "flat-file" version of DBMan over to the SQL version.
You can either do it this way :
http://www.mysql.com/...rence.html#LOAD_DATA

or download and install mySQLman from this site which has the file import command built-in. I'd heartily recommend this method if you are just beginning to play around with mySQL.

easy does it
Quote Reply
OK - everything is now working with the default DBManSQL package.

But I need to convert our existing flat file version to MySQL - There is NO readme file that explains in steps how to do this - so it has become a very difficult task to accomplish.

Currently - it is running with the default .cfg - and when I try to change the default .cfg to include the existing fields in our database and run the nph-setup.cgi again - it stops working - or at least the nph-setup.cgi stops and does not finish (never gets to the end where you can click on the link to login as admin).

Sure wish there was a step by step guide to converting existing DBman implementations to DBManSQL.

I'm lost and really don't know what to do next?

Quote Reply
Try removing any &get_date or &get_time from the field configuration. I had the same problem and that fixed it for me.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
But I need to convert our existing flat file version to MySQL - There is NO readme file that explains in steps how to do this - so it has become a very difficult task to accomplish.
Read my previous reply - I gave 2 options.

In Reply To:
Currently - it is running with the default .cfg - and when I try to change the default .cfg to include the existing fields in our database and run the nph-setup.cgi again - it stops working - or at least the nph-setup.cgi stops and does not finish (never gets to the end where you can click on the link to login as admin).
You need to use/edit the cfg that came with dbSQL as the format is different than the cfg in dbman. There are 8 options per field definition in dbSQL as opposed to only 7 in dbman - the additional option in dbSQL being whether a field is indexed or not.

easy does it