Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

Problem viewing uploaded pdf/doc files

Quote Reply
Problem viewing uploaded pdf/doc files
Hi,

I've set up a table so that users can upload .pdf or .doc files. They're able to upload the files fine, but I'm not sure what url I should use for downloading. I tried using the standard one I would use for images:

/PATH/TO/db.cgi?db=TABLE_NAME&uid=default&do=view_file&cn=COLUMN_NAME&id=PK_COLUMN

But with that url, a pdf file just came up as gibberish. I think it failed to send the proper headers to the browser to indicate that it was a pdf file. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks very much.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] Problem viewing uploaded pdf/doc files In reply to
Can you send me username and password to access the admin panel via email? I'll test it out.

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] Problem viewing uploaded pdf/doc files In reply to
Thanks! Sent you a PM.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] Problem viewing uploaded pdf/doc files In reply to
Quick follow up - Does DBManSQL permit the upload and viewing of a PDF file?

I had always thought so - but doing some tests out of the box, I get gibberish when trying to view. Says something about a corrupted PDF file. Tried several "freshly" made pdfs so they are good.

(Doing this locally on a Windows machine/ Apache if it makes a difference).

Many Thanks
John
Quote Reply
Re: [gatman] Problem viewing uploaded pdf/doc files In reply to
Hi John

I have found out that PDF files can be viewed correctly once a user has logged into the system. But I'm experiencing the same problem like you do once I've logged off the system. I have a feeling that it has something to do with authentication. The URL mentioned above seems to be correct. Just give it a try and use this URL once you've logged into DBMan SQL and tell me if it works for you, too.

Let me know what happened
Oliver
Quote Reply
Re: [olivers] Problem viewing uploaded pdf/doc files In reply to
Doesn't appear to be an authentication issue. Corruption here occurs regardless of log-in status and occurs either trying to download file or view.
Quote Reply
Hello again,

have you tried to access the file via "direct" URL to verify if your PDF has been properly uploaded to the server? A direct URL would not have db.cgi in the URL, but point directly to the appropriate file upload folder:

yourdomain.com/path/to/fileuploadfolder/X/filename.pdf

where X would be a number - you have to find out in which folder your PDF is located (# 0 - 9). You could also search&download the PDF via FTP and verify the file locally on your client machine if you prefer.

If the PDF can be viewed without problems, then it's not a file upload problem but might have something to do with the file viewing routines.

Cheers,
Oliver
Quote Reply
Ok - thanks for claryifying.

Interestingly - just tried this on the hosting account and it does work. No problems (FreeBSD/Apache).

May be this is the way Windows is interpreting the script / managing the MIME type?

Dunno.
Quote Reply
Glad to hear that at least the upload thingy is ok on your system Smile

I forgot to ask you the following: Which version of DBMan SQL have you installed? I'm not sure if it has something to do with this, but maybe another question: which versions of File.pm and Home.pm are on your server (have you ever replaced one of these files)?

Oliver
Quote Reply
Using last available version 2.10 - and have not modified home.pm or file.pm - are there more current version relative to this?
Quote Reply
Look at these URLs:

Home.pm: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=228308#228308
File.pm: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=224973#224973

I've noticed that there is a newer version of File.pm (see link above): v.1.54 - But unfortunately, it doesn't seem to fix the problem you've described (or it has nothing to do with it) Unsure

Good luck and let me know once you find a workaround
Oliver
Quote Reply
Have you been able to solve the problem? I'd be interested in a feedback...

Thanks,
Oliver
Quote Reply
Is there a solution to this problem?