Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

New Version Release Date

Quote Reply
New Version Release Date
Hi,

Could someone from Gossamer please give us a release date and new features list for the next version of DBMan SQL???

I think keeping current users informed would save us a lot of time in trying to modify the current version to do something that will be standard in the next version.

Thank you.

Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] New Version Release Date In reply to
Come on guys!!!!!!!!! (Gossamer Staff that is)

How about some feedback.
Quote Reply
Hi Simon,

Sorry about the later feedback. We're still doing some test on newest version which will be released pretty soon. Here is the features that will be added the next version:

- You'll be able to establish and modify relationships between tables
-
Queries can be created which allow users to navigate between records as they view your database.
- Add/modify multiple records.
- View the owner information of records.

and much much more.

Cheers,

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] New Version Release Date In reply to
Uow!

Serious that it will be possible to do all that?

Pretty soon means about how long?

I´m still using dbman, but my database is getting bigger

Fábio
Quote Reply
Re: [assombracao] New Version Release Date In reply to
I trust the new version will also have, in order of priority:

= some good COMPREHENSIVE documentation (for instance just explaining in layman's language the flow (remember the 'diagram is worth a thousand words' in the DBMan doc file?) and the programme's subroutines, parameters, and giving simple concrete examples (not Links SQL examples!) of how to use them... we may be eager to learn but we are all not Perl geniuses.

= a solution to the automatic conversion of line feeds in plain text imported fields, LF replaced with the required <CR> to display properly
= a solution to the problem of linking from one detailed_record to the next_detailed_record of a list produced by an initial search.

Thanks in advance GT folks!

Last edited by:

charly: Jun 15, 2002, 1:59 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [charly] New Version Release Date In reply to
Any news?
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] New Version Release Date In reply to
Can someone from Gossamer please give us some indication when the new version will be released?

It seems that DBMan SQL is not one of Gossamer's high priorities and is not supported as much as other GT products.

We paid big bucks and deserve a little more support and feedback (e.g like the Links SQL users get).

Does anyone else out there feel the same?????
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Does anyone else out there feel the same?????

I have to say, I do feel the same. I've generally had extremely positive experiences with GT products and services. I've got paid licenses on multiple scripts and non-profit licenses on a few others, and I've even ordered some custom work on a couple of occasions. No question - GT is a company of professionals who, as a general rule, stand by their work and provide A+ support.

My ONLY complaint involves DBManSQL. I'm not sure if it was perhaps released a bit before it was ready, or maybe the limited user base has made it difficult for GT to justify extensive support and attention to the product... Either way, I've found it to be something of a disappointment. Obviously the potential is there for a great product, but with virtually no documentation (especially documentation geared towards non-experts like myself) and a much smaller array of built-in features and options than comes with other GT products I've used, DBManSQL just falls a bit short, at least in its current incarnation.

The new features mentioned by TheStone above do sound promising. Hopefully we'll see some progress before too long and DBManSQL can take its place alongside the other high quality GT products.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] New Version Release Date In reply to
Hi,

We do understand your frustrations and have been working hard on our end to bolster support for DBMan SQL. Bruce is now back in the office after spending some time in Prague, he's our Technical Writer, and one of his priorities now that he's back is documentation for DBMan SQL.

We'll be releasing more about DBMan SQL shortly, please keep an eye out in the Announcements section for breaking news.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] New Version Release Date In reply to
I'll be keeping vigil! Wink

I know a little bit about the challenges of running a small business (understatement of the century), so I can empathize with your situation. Glad to learn that you're on top of this issue.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund