Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

Problems using import

Quote Reply
Problems using import
Hi,

I've recently purchased dbman sql and am feeling my way around ....

The first major problem I've hit is with the file import facility.

I have a test table with 5 fields as follows:

1 userid VARCHAR(12) Yes TEXT
2 paid_date DATE No 0000-00-00 TEXT
3 company TEXT No TEXT
4 category_code VARCHAR(255) No TEXT
5 paid CHAR(20) No paid TEXT

and I've been trying to import the following dataset (just as a test)

userid|paid_date|company|category_code|paid
a1||(Taiwan Footwear News) Century Exhibitio|OS|no
a2||3M Company|CS|no
a3||3H Machine Industry Company Limited|MC|no

I've tried doing it from file, and by pasting into the box provided. Eventually I got it to import one row out of the three from the box, but the fields were back to front in the table! I then discovered that if I added the fields one by one in the "fields to import" dialogue in the reverse order, they were imported correctly into the table.

Here's a screen print from mysql showing the 3 rows imported:

userid paid_date company category_code paid
a1 0000-00-00 (Taiwan Footwear News) Century Exhibitio OS no Edit Delete
a2 0000-00-00 3M Company CS no Edit Delete
a3 0000-00-00 3H Machine Industry Company Limited MC no Edit Delete

I've tried this several times and got the same result.
This is buggy in the extreme isn't it?? Has anybody else come across this, or got any ideas why dbman sql is behaving so strangely? Has anyone succeeded in getting the file import to work properly. If someone from GT would like to log in and try this for themselves, I'm happy to provide password details.

Tim
Tim Ault
Oxford UK
Quote Reply
Re: [timbo] Problems using import In reply to
If you can provide the admin access info via email, I'll give it a try.

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] Problems using import In reply to
I noticed the problem with export, see:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...string=jiliu;#226240
Jian Liu
Indiana University Libraries
Quote Reply
hi,

I've been experiencing the same problem - and had to find out myself (ie asking support didn't help). Really a weird thing - and also some of the explanations on that page are not so easy to understand.

Did anyone figure out how to do a quick import vs a non quick import?

Would quick import mean you don't say which fields to import but just paste in a file with fieldnames on top? (of course also in reverse order)

together with this problem I also experienced that if you try to import into a table with ENUM fields it won't work. Even if the field in the record matches one of the options.

-kjell
---
Kjell Knudsen
http://www.icbl.org
Quote Reply
Re: [kjellkk] Problems using import In reply to
Hi there,

Support recommended me to use the import facility within mysql manager. This seems to work much better. The import facility within dbman-sql is buggy, to say the least.
Tim Ault
Oxford UK
Quote Reply
that was the recommendation I got as well. But not the one I would expect after I had paid for a program like this.

really, to import and export properly is a feature I'd expect in this program. Or if it doesn't work then be open with that and remove the buggy tool!

Says nowhere that Dbman SQL 2 is beta! And it's not open source either (where I could accept some things like that).

-kjell
---
Kjell Knudsen
http://www.icbl.org

Last edited by:

kjellkk: Apr 3, 2003, 6:21 AM
Quote Reply
I would like to contribute another example of what appears to be the same problem.

I have been regularly importing from uploaded tab delimited text files via the 'import' function offered by the DBMan SQL 2.10 interface. It has been working very well UNTIL last week. This is what I did before it broke down:

I wanted to rename my Main table.
With option Load, I selected my table Main and saved it as New, and filled the Setup options parameters. I checked by displaying properties: all columns present.
I then dropped Main.

If I manually Add data to a new record in New, I of course see with List that I have the data placed in the correct fields.

But When I then tried importing a tab delimited text file into New, the data was placed in the wrong fields. For instance for five columns (of which the first is the INT Primary key), the data is entered in the reverse order.

In attempts to understand what was occuring, I dropped New and recreated it (with the same table name New) and all its columns manually. New import attempt : same problem.

I tried creating another table with different name, 'Pictures'. Again with first column as INT Primary key. It works correctly !!!!! (I really am baffled here!!)

I then imagined and tried an import of the same (5 field) text file into the table New using the MySQL interface. Checking the result with MySQL (Browse), the data IS entered into the correct fields. I then returned to the GT interface, to List my record, and the data displays correctly. BUT BUT: if I resync the table, the data again reappears in the wrong fields.

Finally, my provider and I have checked our SQL database, (notably with the OPTIMISE TABLE New; command in case it had been defragmented). This has no effect.

I would appreciate some fairly rapid investigation into this question by GT. We have spent a fair time adapting our site templates to change over to version 2.10. One web site has been taken off line because of this difficulty and a second site also using DBMan SQL v 2.10 is about to open and we want to avoid similar problems cropping up.

I have supplied TheStone with a copy of this contribution and private details so that GT can check my site and configs themselves.
Thanks for any contributions helping to square-out this major issue with (for me at least) what is a fine product.

Last edited by:

charly: Apr 14, 2003, 2:25 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Download the attached file which should replace GT/SQL/Admin.pm

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] Problems using import In reply to
Many - many - thanks for such quick attention and complete solution. New Admin.pm file corrects the problem. That's real GT customer support!