Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

MySQL Question - Virtual Server

Quote Reply
MySQL Question - Virtual Server
Okay,
Uploaded the dbman scripts, along with the mysqlman scripts. I haven't tried to build a database yet. I used the mysqlman to log on to my database for my LinksSQL, and... its there! Problem is, I'm on a virtual server and about 200 or so other databases are there too...
Okay the question is, without screwing up my database, or anyone elses data base, how do I go about creating a database for DBMan??? (or should I just ask my host to do it for me??)

Trust in your elders, for they hold the key to life...
Quote Reply
Re: MySQL Question - Virtual Server In reply to
You shouldn't have permission to create databases (if you do, your virtual host has really really really setup Mysql wrong!).

You should either use your existing database where you have Links SQL, or ask your ISP to create a new one.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Okay...
Do I just add tables to the existing database?? Also, if I want two different sections running through dbman, do I just create two separate tables and have the dbman point to the correct table??

Trust in your elders, for they hold the key to life...
Quote Reply
Yes, they can all go in the existing database. In your config you are asked for what you want the tables to be named (there are four per database). If you want two completely separate tables, then you would just have two config files, each with different table names:

Code:
# The table name to store all your information.
$db_table = 'Items';
# The table name to store your logging information.
$db_table_log = 'Items_log';
# The table name to store your session information.
$db_table_session = 'Items_session';
# The table name to store user information
$db_table_user = 'Items_users';
and say for example your other table is about employees:

Code:
# The table name to store all your information.
$db_table = 'Employee';
# The table name to store your logging information.
$db_table_log = 'Employee_log';
# The table name to store your session information.
$db_table_session = 'Employee_session';
# The table name to store user information
$db_table_user = 'Employee_users';
Now if you wanted to share a common login (so one password would work for both tables), then you would want to make the user and session tables the same thing.

Hope this helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I have moved my site to a new server with my webhost (and have posed this question to them as well, but thought I'd cover all my bases). I have three databases, with three config files, and all of them use the same $db_table_user and $db_table_session variables (Journal_users and Journal_session). Since the move to the new server, a user may sign in to the primary database (journal) and add a record; however, if they then move to one of the other databases (I have links provided which include the uid), they get a 403 forbidden error. It doesn't matter which database is logged into first...it's the process of switching from one to another that causes the problem. Or sometimes, they can successfully switch to a different database; however, if they try to add a record, they get the 403 forbidden error message. I have viewed the contents of the Journal_session table and the session ID exists there. It is not a permissions problem with the directory. Since there was an initial problem with the DBD module causing things not to work at all, I'm assuming it's something related now. But does anyone have any ideas specifically what the problem might be? I can provide a link to the database if anyone needs to view it for a better idea of the problem.

Thanks!

Melanie
http://www.somemoorecats.com/ww/
http://www.okhima.org/