Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

Log / Free Host?

Quote Reply
Log / Free Host?
Does DBMAN SQL have the log feature that the flat file version has? Is the information stored in a text file or in some sort of table?

I'm just interested as I'm thinking of buying DBMAN SQL soon.

Also does anyone know of any free hosts that I would be able to test DBMAN SQL out on as I don't want to register a domain name, etc just for while I'm working on the database?
Quote Reply
Re: Log / Free Host? In reply to
1) No logging available out-of-box.
2) No. Since there is no logging, no files are stored with "session" information.
3) Free host with MySQL...not to my knowledge. And if they do offer it, I would be very concerned about its security.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the response Eliot Smile.

In Reply To:
1) No logging available out-of-box.
Oh ok - Frown - Can the code that is used for the flat file version just be copied into the SQL version to write to a normal text file?

In Reply To:
3) Free host with MySQL...not to my knowledge. And if they do offer it, I would be very concerned about its security.
Damn as I don't really want to pay for hosting while I'm developing my database but I guess I'll have to.

Quote Reply
1) For "logging", you can create another table called "Loggin" within your DBMAN database. This table should contain the following fields/columns:

In Reply To:

UserID (from the Users table or your main DBMAN table)
Action (record last query string or action)
IPAddress (IP Address of User)
HTTP_Referer (Log the last page visited)

And you can, of course, add other columns.

Then you can add a sub within the db.cgi that logs users. Shouldn't be hard to do...use the sub add_record routine as a model.

Then to keep the table clean, you could write a shell file to be executed by Crontab that deletes the table every few hours.

2) If all you want to do is develop an internal database for your own purposes, you can simply download DBI, MySQL, Perl for Win32 (ActiveState), and also a web server (apache, preferrably). For more info on "off-line" editing, search the support forums for offline editing.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the ideas Eliot. It gives me a start...