Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

Just bought ... my questions and reflections

Quote Reply
Just bought ... my questions and reflections
hello there,

I thought to send this as an e-mail to Jack and Alex only but then thought others might have feedback on this as well.

Reading the manual and working my way through DBman SQL and thought I should write down things I think should be improved on as I go. There are some small language issues in here that don't sound too good when they add up together, guess you already do some language checks but thought I could help you.

- User Manager: I believe it is Newsletter and not News letter (ie one word)
- When trying to view the log for a table that has no log assigned it reads eg:
"OrderDetails table not exist Log Browse."
- Using Load Table to import an existing DBman dbase, using a table name which already exists:
"Table ICBL_Contacts have been exists."
- Something weird happening when importing from existing dbman dbase. Either it selected a log table as user table or the other way around

hm... finished the manual now and I got a bit worried that it might not have all the things I thought it had. But that's my fault for not checking properly before, guess I only remembered when it was launched and thought a more solid version of DBMAN would be great. Then now I noticed that not so much has happened to the script in terms of plugins and modules since then. At least nothing comparable to what is available with the DBMan script. 0 plugins/modifications wasn't all that impressive...

I guess some of the things I was thinking was there are in other GT scripts (and might be portable) and also some of it were things that I cannot expect to have included. As always here are things I will have to sit down and configure myself...

Certainly I should start working with it a bit before I say that I'm not happy with it. And certainly - I am not blaming it on you. Though would be great to have these questions answered:

- How can I easily configure a completely separate database as it says in the overview? Ie I want one of my users to have total control (admin access) of a database with several tables, but not give access to other tables in the same MYSQL database.
- When loading from an existing DBMAN table - should I expect it to do anything with the HTML templates? I ran into a couple of problems so it never finished loading for me :-(

- has anyone out there done something like a spamprotection mod? ie to not show e-mail addresses but to give visitors that have not signed in a form (where the e-mail is nowwhere shown, neither hidden) in order to e-mail people from the records. I'm desperately trying to block those spammers and even if spamfilter will help me it won't for many of the people I'd be listing.

- any who have setup validation of new user sign-ups?

If I have no answers to these when I start needing them I'll start asking them as separate questions. Just thought for now since there were a couple to put them in together.

thanks all and hope this script will get some attention out there... though I fear that going for a non-free script was a bad idea in terms of hoping to see user mods...

-kjell
---
Kjell Knudsen
http://www.icbl.org
Quote Reply
Re: [kjellkk] Just bought ... my questions and reflections In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for feedback, I'll do more language checks.Tongue

In Reply To:

- How can I easily configure a completely separate database as it says in the overview? Ie I want one of my users to have total control (admin access)
Just set the 'Admin' permision to users, so they will have full access to user tables ( by using Admin - Tables - Users function ).

In Reply To:
- When loading from an existing DBMAN table - should I expect it to do anything with the HTML templates? I ran into a couple of problems so it never finished loading for me :-(

You don't have to do anything with the admin templates, unless you want to change the look. Can you post the error message that is an easy way to figure out the problems?

Btw, there are two ways to load an existing table:

+ Create Table function: just fill the existing table name and hit Go, it will load that table automatically

+ Load Table function: It provides the way to load an existing table from either current database or another database.

In Reply To:

You can change the command below around line #320 within Home.pm:

# You can change the status as you desire. it can be 'Not Validated'
$user->{Status} = 'Registered';

To:

$user->{Status} = 'Not Validated';

From now on, the signed-up users cannot access the system unless they're validated.

Hope that helps.

TheStone.

B.
Quote Reply
Re: [TheStone] Just bought ... my questions and reflections In reply to
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

- How can I easily configure a completely separate database as it says in the overview? Ie I want one of my users to have total control (admin access)
Just set the 'Admin' permision to users, so they will have full access to user tables ( by using Admin - Tables - Users function ). I'm not sure I understood this reply. From what I can see I set admin permission for a user it means he/she can modify his/her login information. No access to the full admin interface. My question was about giving a user an instance of DBMAN-SQL to work on a completely different MySQL database. Must admit that I don't really understand the users configuration in DBMAN-SQL. I thought setting permissions was done per table, but now it seems that any settings I set for a user is valid for all tables. Ie if a user has full viewing access to any table he/she can also view any record in the users database - where the passwords show in cleartext! There must be something wrong?

In Reply To:

Quote:
You can change the command below around line #320 within Home.pm:

$user->{Status} = 'Registered';

To:

$user->{Status} = 'Not Validated';

From now on, the signed-up users cannot access the system unless they're validated.

Well - but does that activate any way of the admin getting e-mail messages when someone signs up etc? I was thinking about something like require_signup_admin_validation from Gossamer Forum. How would one proceed to configure DBMAN SQL to use a table from another SQL database for users? Say my forum is running in a separate database but I want to use the user table from that to manage my DBMan SQL users. thanks -kjell
---
Kjell Knudsen
Quote Reply
Re: [kjellkk] Just bought ... my questions and reflections In reply to
In Reply To:
From what I can see I set admin permission for a user it means he/she can modify his/her login information. No access to the full admin interface. I thought setting permissions was done per table, but now it seems that any settings I set for a user is valid for all tables. Ie if a user has full viewing access to any table he/she can also view any record in the users database

The admin users will not have the full admin interface, but they will be able to access (view/edit/delete) tables which are used the same current user table, i.e: One user table can be used for multiple tables.

In Reply To:
Well - but does that activate any way of the admin getting e-mail messages when someone signs up etc? I was thinking about something like require_signup_admin_validation from Gossamer Forum. How would one proceed to configure DBMAN SQL to use a table from another SQL database for users? Say my forum is running in a separate database but I want to use the user table from that to manage my DBMan SQL users. thanks -kjell

DBMan SQL does not support for this matter, you need to customize the script or create a plugin to handle it for now. You will find very usefull posts about this feature on DBMan forum.

TheStone.

B.

Last edited by:

TheStone: Mar 19, 2003, 10:13 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The admin users will not have the full admin interface, but they will be able to access (view/edit/delete) tables which are used the same current user table, i.e: One user table can be used for multiple tables.
Then I think the statement
Quote:

Ø Multiple Database Support: One copy of DBMan SQL can run multiple databases using completely different data, all with only one license.

should be removed from the advertising or be modified a bit.

Does that mean I need to put another install in another directory if I want one user to be able to run DBMan SQL as Admin on another MySQL dbase?

In Reply To:
Well - but does that activate any way of the admin getting e-mail messages when someone signs up etc? I was thinking about something like require_signup_admin_validation from Gossamer Forum. How would one proceed to configure DBMAN SQL to use a table from another SQL database for users? Say my forum is running in a separate database but I want to use the user table from that to manage my DBMan SQL users.

DBMan SQL does not support for this matter, you need to customize the script or create a plugin to handle it for now. You will find very usefull posts about this feature on DBMan forum.

I can't say I found any useful posts about this in the DBMan SQL forum - not sure if you meant flatfile DBMan forum? From what I have understood they are very different so it can't be easily ported. Would be good if you indicate which you meant in any case.

-kjell
---
Kjell Knudsen
Quote Reply
Hello Stone,

Quote:

Am I correct in understanding this to mean that as Admin, I can create users user1, user2 and user3 where:

user1 has access to a bookstore db and can make modifications to all tables in that db
user2 has access to a realestate db and can make modifications to all tables in that db
user3 has access to a documents db and can make modifications to all tables in that db

while none of those users have access to the primary user table and do not have access to one another's db/tables?