Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

Can I do this?

Quote Reply
Can I do this?
Hi,

I have a project coming up that requires a visitor to search a database by serial number to give the result of a file download for that particular serial number mainboard.

For example:

Serial No.s 00001 - 00020 allows you to download file01A.zip
Serial No.s 00021 - 00120 allows you to download file02B.zip

etc etc

Also I will need a front end to allow new serial numbers and there corresponding details to be added to the database along with a reference to the file for it.

Hope I made some kind of sense.

Thanks

Andy

Quote Reply
Re: Can I do this? In reply to
Yes, you can do this with DBMAN...

Simply add a column in the table that is called Serial_Number.

DBMAN already has a "front-end" and "back-end" forms to administrate data added into the tables and also view that data through its search forms.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Ok thanks that seems quite straight forward, however I have not looked at the dbman script yet and at teh moment am just reading over the forums to get a feel for it before I install. Can DBman support the upload and download of files from its database entries?

Andy

Quote Reply
Not out-of-box...you would need to add a plugin script for uploading files into the database as BLOB type fields.

Pugdog wrote one for LINKS SQL that should possibly work with DBMAN with a little bit of tweaking.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Ok many thanks I'll take a look at this. I've got the script up and running now and am already customizing, very easy to use and manipulate.

Andy