Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

Any MODs Converted for DBManSQL?

Quote Reply
Any MODs Converted for DBManSQL?
Has anyone that has been using the DBManSQL version added any of the MODs from the flat file version? I know some will work without any changes, but most will not without some changes. Can anyone post any MODs they changed from the flat file version that will work on the SQL version? It's probably best to start new threads for each MOD.

Thanks,
AJ

Quote Reply
Re: Any MODs Converted for DBManSQL? In reply to
If I can ever get my sysadmin to set up my MySQL database, I'll see what I can do to convert the mods. She keeps saying she's going to do it, but hasn't as yet.

When I get any of them done, I'll be sure to post them here.

I might as well do the ones people want first. Which ones would you be most interested in?

JPD
Quote Reply
I would really like to see the:

'Secure Password Lookup'
'Mass Mailer'

I believe most of the others that I want are just cosmetic changes in the 'html.pl' file (like alternating colors, short/long display, and Auto View-Modify Link).

I'm sitting at about 34,000 records in my database and as soon as the owner of the site comes back from vacation, he will purchase the SQL version of DBMan and I will install it!

Thanks for all the help you've given me JPD! I hope I've helped others with some of the counter mods and stuff I put out for the flat file version of DBMan. My next task is to get our Links pages converted to Links 2.0.

AJ

Quote Reply
You certainly have been a help. It's really nice to get some other viewpoints on things -- different styles in coding can really add to the whole thing.

The mass mailer wouldn't be much of a problem to convert. The only part that directly accesses the .db file is that it does a count so that all of the records will be included in the search. I'm sure there's a way to count the records in an SQL database.

Secure Password Lookup will be a little more of a challenge, but I'm sure it's doable.

JPD
Quote Reply
I was able to successfully modify JPDeni's Validate Records mod for SQL. (A mod of a mod, sounds funny, eh?) I'm sure JPDeni could do a better job, but if anyone is desperate for it, I'd be happy to send it your way. All I did was swap out SQL stuff for the code that writes to the text file.

Quote Reply
That's wonderful, matt! Please do make it available to anyone who needs it.

(I'm tempted to post the email address of my sysadmin so that everyone here can write to her and tell her to get me SQL access!! Wink)

JPD
Quote Reply
I have used old versions of JPD's long / short display and file upload mods and I don't think there were any significant changed needed.

Chris

Quote Reply
Is it neccessary to make ANY changes to implement the long/short display in mySQL? If so which ones? I just copied my html.pl file over and it displays the default long display instead of the short one as in my flatfile version...was wondering where I need to start changing stuff...

Safe swoops
sangiro

Quote Reply
Since you've asked, I'd really like to see the "Email this record-owner" mod.
My database consists of records submitted by users. When other people view these records, it should pop up a link to email the owner of that record, like in the Links database (the Mailer.cgi mod).

Is that doable?
Thanks!