Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan SQL : Discussion :

Adding new tables

Quote Reply
Adding new tables
Hello

I have a three databases of births, marriages and death records. The births records are in a table uploaded onto my site, in use and working well. However I now have death records data I want to put up. I have created a table called deaths, assigned the template set and added some sample data. I thought that creating a copy of the search_form.html and search_results.html used for births and renaming them for use with deaths with these two lines changed from births to deaths would work:

<input type=hidden name="db" value="births"> is now <input type=hidden name="db" value="deaths">
<input type=hidden name="do" value="search_results"> is now <input type=hidden name="do" value="deaths_search_results">

but it hasn't - when I go to the /cgi-bin/db.cgi?do=deaths_search_form it comes back with a standard GT template saying there is an error on births: invalid action.

Looking at Setup - Paths & URLs - the default table is births, but if I change this then I'm not going to be able to use the births data am I?

I've had a look at the help supplied and it implies that you can have more than one table.

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong - can someone give me a clue?

regards

Denise
Quote Reply
Re: [Denise_] Adding new tables In reply to
If I can just add a postscript to my post above:

No one except me actually has access to add, amend, delete the data. People can come to site (www.manxbmd.com) and search for records - don't know if that makes a difference!
Quote Reply
Re: [Denise_] Adding new tables In reply to
i believe as long as you have all the templates for deaths in a template directory for deaths, like templates_death, you don't need to change anything in the templates at all. and if you don't need a customized appearance, you don't even need a separate template directory. the program should already know the name of the db (table) and it will pull the template directory from your setup file.