Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
StaticPage plugin
Hi everybody

I am working on a plugin called 'StaticPage', which is a port of the Links SQL 'PageBuilder' plugin to DBMan SQL.

Features:
- build simple static pages (such as an 'About Us' page)
- build static pages for your tables (one page for every record in your table)
- takes into account relationships between tables.
- completely template based
- ability to create PDF and Postscript files (requires HTMLDOC)

Advantages of static pages:
- improves your site's search engine ranking
- puts less strain on your webserver.

If anyone is interested, please post what additional features you would like to see. I am also looking for beta testers (not immediately, but in a few days/weeks).

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] StaticPage plugin In reply to
We would be very interested ...

Some desirable features:
* Build from cron job rather than browser interface
* Conditional build (eg: if new or recently updated, or by primary key to allow for staggered/timed builds)
* Deletion of old static pages with no database record
* Search results template pointing to static pages
* Directory structure that can be derived algorithmically from unique keys
* Multiple root directories conditional on column values
* Path to static pages should be predictable from known column values (eg: if an external program knows that a record has status=3 and id=4567, it can make a link to it because the status value determines the root of its static directory tree, and the id value determines its path and name within the tree).

Presumably, anything that can be placed in a normal dynamic template could also be placed (with some modifications) in a static template.

What we would envisage:
* Static pages for most website visitors
* Certain static pages in a separate password-protected directory for privileged visitors
* Static pages in a tree structure designed to ensure a maximum number of pages per directory
* Dynamic pages (as now) for record owners and editors

Last edited by:

YoYoYoYo: Jul 26, 2003, 12:35 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] StaticPage plugin In reply to
In Reply To:
* Build from cron job rather than browser interface

This is certainly possible (as it is for the PageBuilder plugin).

In Reply To:
* Conditional build (eg: if new or recently updated, or by primary key to allow for staggered/timed builds)

New/updated builds will be possible, I am not sure about the staggered builds.

In Reply To:
* Deletion of old static pages with no database record

This might be rather difficult to implement.... The easiest way to accomplish this would probably be to manually delete the build tree once in a while, and then do a complete rebuild.

In Reply To:
* Search results template pointing to static pages

See below.

In Reply To:
* Directory structure that can be derived algorithmically from unique keys

At the moment, you can use certain fields (unique fields) in your directory name and file names. This could be extend to also allow functions of those unique fields.

In Reply To:
* Multiple root directories conditional on column values

There can only be one root directory, and it is the root directory for all your static pages. You just need to define the page directory appropriately, e.g.

Build Directory: <%status%>/some_dir/some_other_dir
Build Filename: <%id%>.html

In Reply To:
* Path to static pages should be predictable from known column values (eg: if an external program knows that a record has status=3 and id=4567, it can make a link to it because the status value determines the root of its static directory tree, and the id value determines its path and name within the tree).

The paths are certainly predictable... would be weird if not

In Reply To:
Presumably, anything that can be placed in a normal dynamic template could also be placed (with some modifications) in a static template.

What we would envisage:
* Static pages for most website visitors
* Certain static pages in a separate password-protected directory for privileged visitors
* Static pages in a tree structure designed to ensure a maximum number of pages per directory
* Dynamic pages (as now) for record owners and editors

You might need to change your links a bit: the plugin does not translate a link to a dynamic page into a link to a static page. Maybe the easiest way would be two have separate templates for your static pages.

All in all, I think the plugin could be useful for you, it will do most of what you need.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
New/updated builds will be possible, I am not sure about the staggered builds.
Could be handled quite easily perhaps as a conditional build, eg: imagine a cron job which would build if (id > 2000 AND id <= 3000). I think LSQL Pagebuilder can do that sort of thing now.

In Reply To:
The easiest way to accomplish this would probably be to manually delete the build tree once in a while ...
Probably many ways of doing it. Not a significant problem.

In Reply To:
At the moment, you can use certain fields (unique fields) in your directory name and file names. This could be extend to also allow functions of those unique fields.
Simple Pagebuilder functions are what we had in mind (would be very useful also in LSQL Pagebuilder).

In Reply To:
The paths are certainly predictable... would be weird if not
We were thinking of the way in which DBmanSQL stores uploaded images ... don't think the path can be deduced from column values, you have to know the algorithm also. I might have missed something there, but it isn't simple. For us, the best solution would be for the path to the record to be a function of the primary key. If we can define the function ourselves, then other pages in the same domain can link to the records using the same function.

In Reply To:
Maybe the easiest way would be two have separate templates for your static pages.
Probably all we would need on the static pages is a login link.
Quote Reply
 i am interested Wink

hoefti
linktobuy Web Directory
Ratgeber Recht
Quote Reply
Very Interested. Smile

Even more interested in the same for Gossamer Forum.
Or, can you use DBMan SQL to access the GF Database (MySQL)?

Quote Reply
I am also interested

Jan Peter
Quote Reply
Re: [JPWiese] StaticPage plugin In reply to
It is still in development?

I´m looking to get the real path for image file, and this static page would be too great to include in another templates