Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

remote dbman and cross references

Quote Reply
remote dbman and cross references
after some time away i am back with a couple of questions.

1. i want to create a remote version of my dbman database to run off of a CD-rom. This is to enable groups who are not allowed to have access to our intranet to use the program remotely. Can I do this and how?

2. I want to create cross references between items in the database. How do I do this? I already asked this question some time ago but i could not implement the feature.

any ideas folks.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
Re: remote dbman and cross references In reply to
1. I have no idea. There was discussion about this a while back in the other DBMan forum.

2. What exactly do you want to do?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
In the

<a
href="$db_script_link_url&$db_key=$rec{'OtherRecord'}&ww=on&view_records=1">Link to other record</a>

There must be a value in the "Other Record" field that matches the key value for the record you want to access.

Regarding your "silly machine" Smile what sort of URL are you getting in the Location field on your browser?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hi JP

basically we had this discussion some time before but i got distracted with another project and had to drop the subject for a while.

I found the item on the CD-ROM and it is not really that feasible to do so I will drop it for now.

The links issue is fairly simple. I want to make a <a href=> link between entries in the database. I found the solution(s) you gave me before.:

<a href="$db_script_link_url&$db_key=$rec{$db_key}&ww=on&view_records=1">Link to record</a>

<a href="$db_script_link_url&$db_key=$rec{'OtherRecord'}&ww=on&view_records=1">Link to other record</a>

Perhaps i need to change something to get it to work.

In the second option i guess i have to change 'OtherRecord' to the name or number of the record?

What do i have to replace in the first option to get the exact record.

regards

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
i have used your script but keep getting the message:

The url you asked for does not exist on this website

yes it does you silly machine....

what am i doing wrong...

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
Hi JP

yes i tried that and changed it to {'Item'} which is the name of the record field to be searched on. I even tried using the actual entry keyword and changing the number value to the actual ID number of the entry. I think I probably tried every possibility but nothing worked.

I am despairing here because it is essential that this works.

regards garry

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
I think I'm at the point where I have to see it. Could you upload your files to a web-accessible directory? (That's one where you would put your html files.) Rename them all to end with a .txt extension and let me know where they are. It would be good if I could see the default.cfg, html.pl and default.db files.

I also would like to have access to the working database. If you have set it up so I can signup online, I'll be able to take the login information from the .cfg file. If not, I'll need you to set up an account for me. I don't need admin access, though. I just need to be able to view.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hi JP

OK, I will download the whole lot to my own domain after the weekend, unfortunately I am off to Germany for the weekend to see my lady friend.

The whole dbman program is currently running on my network pc running on a xitami webserver, behind a firewall. I will let you know what the address for it is on Monday.

Thanks for your help.

regards garry

------------------
cybergaz