Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

HELP !!! Login Problems !

Quote Reply
HELP !!! Login Problems !
The database has been working great for a couple of weeks now - then all of a sudden today - after successfully loging in - and then choosing any of the available links in the footer - I get a logon error "Oops, there was a problem logging into the system: invalid/expired user session."

What happened?

BTW - I have multiple databases, and each one is in a separate directory, running a separate db.cgi script - and this now is happening on all of them. Something appears to have happened to the Authorization part, because I can turn it off, and everything works as it should. However, I need to be able to authorize users of the database.

After checking everything, it appears to be something to do with the "What's New" mod. With Authorization turned off, I can do everything except the "What's New" I receive the following error - "Error: Unauthorized Action".

[This message has been edited by donm (edited April 01, 1999).]

Quote Reply
Re: HELP !!! Login Problems ! In reply to
Ok.... I have removed all mods .. and I am now using a fresh copy of the dbman script.

And I am still getting the same error after successfully logging in - then choosing any of the links that I have permissions for - I receive this error - "Oops, there was a problem logging into the system: invalid/expired user session."

Help please?
Quote Reply
Ok I completely deleted dbman from my server.... downloaded and installed a fresh new copy of Dbman to my server. Successfully Logged in using the default settings "admin/admin" - and then choose to "add" a record - still getting the same error - "Oops, there was a problem logging into the system: invalid/expired user session."

Instead using another post - I will just edit this one - I have now added back all of the Lookup, short, and What's New mods. Everything works fine as long as authorization is turned off. Whenever I turn it back on I get the error "Oops, there was a problem logging into the system: invalid/expired user session."

I really need the authorization to work.

What is happening here?

Quote Reply
I've seen this once before. It seems to happen with a weird version of perl. Can you do a:

perl -V

from telnet and post/email what it outputs?

What's happening is the server is creating your session file in the auth directory, but for some reason stat() is returning a blank time and DBMan is erasing it right away.

If you can email me access to the system it would be really helpful, as I've only come across this twice now.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex - I don't know what happened - but mysteriously everything has begun to work properly now. I have not made any changes.

I am glad it is working - but still I do not know what caused it?
Quote Reply
Change the permission of your log file (default.log) to 666 (rw-rw-rw-).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Alex/Don/Anyone else,

I'm having the same "Oops, there was a problem logging into the system: invalid/expired user session" problem Don was referring to. My perl -V is below. If anyone out there can help ... PLEASE, :-)

Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 5 subversion 03) configuration:
Platform:
osname=MSWin32, osvers=4.0, archname=MSWin32-x86-object
uname=''
hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=undef
usethreads=undef useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef
Compiler:
cc='cl.exe', optimize='-Od -MD -DNDEBUG -TP -GX', gccversion=
cppflags='-DWIN32'
ccflags ='-Od -MD -DNDEBUG -TP -GX -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT -DPERL_OBJECT'
stdchar='char', d_stdstdio=define, usevfork=false
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8
d_longlong=undef, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=10
alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=n, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='link', ldflags ='-nologo -nodefaultlib -release -libpath:"C:\Perl\lib\CORE" -machine:x86'
libpth="C:\Perl\lib\CORE"
libs= oldnames.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib netapi32.lib uuid.lib wsock32.lib mpr.lib winmm.lib version.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib PerlCRT.lib
libc=C:\Perl\lib\CORE\PerlCRT.lib, so=dll, useshrplib=yes, libperl=perlcore.lib
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_win32.xs, dlext=dll, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags='-dll -nologo -nodefaultlib -release -libpath:"C:\Perl\lib\CORE" -machine:x86'

Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
Locally applied patches:
ActivePerl Build 520
Built under MSWin32
Compiled at Sep 28 1999 17:55:54
@INC:
C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib

Quote Reply
No change. Same error, :-0
Quote Reply
I've re-chmod my default.cfg to 666, uninstalled/reinstalled DBMan from scratch, posted the result of my perl -V (whatever that means), and alas, getting a LOT of flack from my Alumni. I've even tried sending an email to my ISP along with Alex -- no response yet.

I've currently got no authorization updated in my default.cfg, to at least allow my alumni to view, but not add, modify or delete.

Still need to find a way to fix my "Oops, there was a problem logging into the system: invalid/expired user session." (with authorization turned on). I don't intend to come across as crass with this post, but I'm at a standstill -- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

JR