Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Installation problems - help!

Quote Reply
Installation problems - help!
Hi - I'm new to the forum, so any help would be appreciated.

I have loaded dbman onto my web hosting server, with changes as per the very easy instructions.

When I try to run db.cgi I get a server error. I switch on the server debugging mode to get more info and what I get back is several error lines:

parse error in file /www/cgi. . . . . /dbman/db.cgi at line 57, next two tokens "new Benchmark"
parse error in file /www/cgi. . . . . /dbman/db.cgi at line 63, next two tokens "new Benchmark"
parse error in file /www/cgi. . . . . /dbman/db.cgi at line 63, next two tokens "timestr ("
parse error in file /www/cgi. . . . . /dbman/db.cgi at line 72, next two tokens "my ("
etc.

I have loaded several other scripts and have had these types of errors for simple syntax errors.

Can anyone help?

Quote Reply
Re: Installation problems - help! In reply to
keef:

welcome to the world of DBMan you are going to love this script once you get it up and running Smile

After searching for "token" in the installation forum I came up with the following thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=DBInst&Number=53491&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1

Are you using Perl5 and if so does your shebang line have the correct path to perl?

If this does not correct your problem, search for "token" and read other related threads to see if one of the solutions will work.

Be sure also to check through the Resource Center from the menu above - where you will find different mods written for DBMan

You might also want to visit the FAQ noted below for ideas about what others have done.

Let me know if changing the Perl path helped, or as might be the case upgrading from Perl4 to Perl5.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
Hi Lois,

Thanks for the very fast response - I will check the token threads as you suggest.

For info, the hosting server claims to be using Perl 5.004, so I think we should be OK on that one.
The path to perl is the same as four other scripts that I managed to get running over the weekend.

I'll keep you in touch with my progress and thanks again for your very helful response.

Cheers, Keef

Quote Reply
Just another thought after looking through the token threads - I'll phone my web hosting company to check the Perl Version - is there any way of checking that the path they specify is actually to the correct version of Perl?

Cheers, Keef

Quote Reply
Cracked it!!!

My web hosting server was indeed using Perl 4 as standard and I had to call Perl 5 with #!/bin/perl5.

The database now runs fine, so now to customising - I'll probably be back on the other DBman forum with lots of questions!

Thanks again for your help.

Keef

Quote Reply
keef:

So glad you got it working .. thank goodness for the forum search feature Smile.

Hey be sure to visit the FAQ noted below also.. as I've gathered many threads from the support forum and put them somewhat into categories to make finding information easier.

DBMan can be so much fun .. thanks to all the valuable help that JPDeni has devoted.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
Quote Reply
Thanks again and I did visit the FAQ link you suggested - again, very useful and informative.

Just one thought on the Forum - several of the threads do explain the problem, but not many members seem to come back and explain the solution when they solve the problem?

Keef

Quote Reply
keef:

Yes, wouldn't it be great if folks did take the time to post the final result Smile. Many of the solutions do become official mods, but others at times are so specific to their database setup .. that for the solution to work for anyone it would need to be adjusted.

I choose to leave most of what is in the original threads rather than condensing to a final solution, because it's an excellent way to learn and get an understanding of how the processes work.

And it's also than noted within the thread what others mods are being used, whether short/long display, etc.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ