Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

select from external relational database

Quote Reply
select from external relational database
hi -

in dbman i need to create a select box. i want the choices to come from a relational database that sits on another server. is this possible? i saw the thread that lets me import from another dbman db on the same server. it works fine but i need it from a relational database. any advice?

thanks!

avi
Quote Reply
Re: [msavi] select from external relational database In reply to
I haven't had any luck getting info from one server to another (for some very good security reasons) without using a login and password (server level) in relation to using net::ftp.

AFAIK, you'd have to FTP or otherwise get the data to your server then use it to build the select field. Of course this probably wouldn't be practical to run each time someone hits the database.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] select from external relational database In reply to
thanks for your reply. so if i run dbman from the same location as the relational database that will clear up the security issue.

can i then make a select option box from a field in the relation database?

thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: [msavi] select from external relational database In reply to
Yep... Look for a MOD called something like "build select from other db" - that should be what you need.

Check out LoisC's posts (any one of them) for the URL to the dbman faq that will have a *whole bunch* of mods.

Good Luck!