Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

problem when db file gets big

Quote Reply
problem when db file gets big
Hi,

I'm using dbman as well as an article database and noted that the modify function started producing 'internal server errors'. I started debugging etc. but wasn't really able to solve the problem. Then I deleted half of the records (after a backup of course) and the records that I couldn't modify were now easy to modify. The original database was almost 1 megabyte.

Has this been discussed before and is my only option to start learning mysql?

I don't know a lot about mysql and most of my dbman databases are havily modified.

Thanks for your replies!

Lex
Quote Reply
Re: [Lex] problem when db file gets big In reply to
Yes, it has been documented that the databases will start to act strange once they get to be about 1 meg or more in size.

The readme file states: You can expect reasonable performance for database approaching 1 MB though.

What you can do is to use the external text file mod and actually store the articles (for example) within external files and then call that field when the record is displayed.

That is what I do with the DBMan FAQ which has @ 1400 records. The external files amount to over 6 megs.

What you may need to do is to create a new field which would contain search words as the external files are not searchable. That way people can still search for relevant information by means of the search words you define.

I recently found within the FAQ a routine that will automatically convert current databases to move the textarea field to an external text file. I think you will find this in the FAQ noted below under "Files".

This is one solution for not having to try to get all your mods to work with the SQL version.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] problem when db file gets big In reply to
Thanks!

Iwas aware of this option, but it is a shame searching is less nie this way. Anyway, this i the thing I'm going to do as changing the whole project to mysql which I'm still learning is too much work now.

Thanks!
Lex