Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

newbie questions

Quote Reply
newbie questions
I haven't even installed this yet. I have two questions. We would be using this in a password protected area of our site. Is there any way to set it up so that users wouldn't have to enter in a username and password, since that would be redundant?

Also, I'm brand new to using scripts... is there going to be a relatively easy way to add the header/footer/background from my site so it matches up? How is it done?

thanks so much,

Sheila in Seattle
Quote Reply
Re: newbie questions In reply to
1) How are you password protecting your "area"? Is it .htaccess or another third party password protection script? If it is the former...it would be quite complicated to integrate authentication into the db.cgi. Search the forums for htaccess. If it is the latter, then you could probably integrate the authentication into DBMAN or simply upload your username/password file into the .pass file used in DBMAN.

2) Yes. There is a MOD called user-friendly html.pl that includes global variables for header, footers, and also background colors.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for your speedy and helpful reply. We are using htaccess to protect. Can you recommend a 3rd party protection that would work well with DBMan and is FREE? What I like about htaccess besides the price is that we are controlling the passwords. We don't want anyone being able to come in and set their own. They have to pay a membership fee to be allowed into this "area". I'm not up to anything "complicated" right now. I'm still struggling to get my message board so it matches my site before making it live.

thanks again,

Sheila in Seattle
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Can you recommend a 3rd party protection that would work well with DBMan and is FREE?
Well, since DBMAN already has a login process, my best suggestion is to use my suggestion of taking your old password file (.htpasswd) and put the usernames in the default.pass file in DBMAN. Codes have been provided in the DBMAN forums for transferring user accounts from another file to DBMAN password file.

You could hack DBMAN to only allow paid members to login and use the system...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
You also may want to check the FAQ noted below and look under the section "Admin" and then the subsection "Passwords".

There you will find some references to using .htaccess with DBMan.

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/