Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

htaccess and dbman

Quote Reply
htaccess and dbman
i have read 10 pages of old postings on this subject but still can't figure out. i created a test.shtml page to show environment variables. i have remote-user variable assigned after logging in with htaccess userid and password. but dbman doesn't recognize this and always shows the login screen.

i just remembered i meant to test this by calling dbman from an shtml page. i'll try this and post a reply later.
EDIT:

ok i don't really know how to try this other than a link to the db.cgi from the shtml page. but what do i put for username or userid? when i enable debugging, it doesn't show remote_user. i guess that's because my db.cgi is in cgi-bin directory instead of the protected www/database directory.

maybe it will be easier to ask how to do what i'm trying to do:

i want one login for my site. once user logs in, i want dbman to know who they are and look up permissions in the pass file -- i don't mind maintaining htpasswd list with same usernames as dbman password file. i will have regular web pages as well as database info. i don't want anyone to see these pages unless they are logged in via htaccess. once they've logged in, dbman should not display the login screen but should show their permissions properly. is this possible?

Last edited by:

delicia: Jul 6, 2003, 3:43 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [delicia] htaccess and dbman In reply to
Have you by any chance checked the FAQ noted below? I know that has been done by others and that there is instructions or tips on doing this in the FAQ. Perhaps under the section "Admin".

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] htaccess and dbman In reply to
i have now searched those faq's and found the same threads that i found here. it seems that most of the people in the threads did not want server authentication. i want dbman to recognize server authentication. i realize i will have to set up user accounts in dbman as well for the permissions.

i finally got dbman to recognize server authentication by setting up htaccess in cgi-bin. but i want to protect static pages in www directory too.

db.cgi is in cgi-bin directory while the actual database with htaccess is off the www directory which is parallel to cgi-bin. my server doesn't allow viewing pages in cgi-bin thus no need for htaccess there i think. but i have to run scripts from cgi-bin. i'm thinking now that what i want is not possible. if it's possible, please tell me how?

i'm trying to have a members only web site that has some static pages and scripting capabilities, such as database and calendar. would love to protect all using same login. any suggestions?

thanks

Last edited by:

delicia: Jul 9, 2003, 5:23 PM
Quote Reply
although my isp says to use cgi-bin for scripts, i found that i could install and run dbman from www. so now everything seems to work! i login to anything in the htaccess protected directory and dbman looks up the correct username and permissions. do you think this is any kind of security risk? thanks.
Quote Reply
I would suggest putting the password file within your cgi-bin or a protected directory.

When you define the name of your password file you would use the full path (not url) to where the .pass file is located.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] htaccess and dbman In reply to
thanks, i'll do that.