Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Which is better?

Quote Reply
Which is better?
I have some experience with the Links program but am wondering if DBman would better suit our needs. I have read through the Resource centre and viewed sites in action to see what is available.

We are thinking of setting up something like a classified section where users can post items. It would have to have the option to validate much like Links offers and I saw that there is a mod for this.

The main thing is that it has to have a very comprehensive search tool. Would DBman be best for this?

We are also a little worried about speed and I would think that Links would be better here since it makes all of the pages but I am wondering if the search application would be just as fast.

I have posted to the Links forums regarding questions of that program before. I have never posted to the DBman forums and I wanted to get actual users views on this.

Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: Which is better? In reply to
In Reply To:
We are thinking of setting up something like a classified section where users can post items. It would have to have the option to validate much like Links offers and I saw that there is a mod for this.
There is a Validate Mod for DBMAN.

In Reply To:
The main thing is that it has to have a very comprehensive search tool.
What do you mean by comprehensive...Both LINKS and DBMAN offer robust search options. You can search all fields in both LINKS and DBMAN. LINKS provides more out-of-box options like and/or searches. Of course, there are some code hacks posted in the DBMAN Customization Forum for adding similar and/or searches in DBMAN.

In Reply To:
We are also a little worried about speed and I would think that Links would be better here since it makes all of the pages but I am wondering if the search application would be just as fast.
In terms of bandwidth...dynamic pages like .cgi suck more of it than static web pages built from .cgi scripts like LINKS. In terms of searching, I have found DBMAN and LINKS to be comparable based on Benchmark measurements, which shows seconds and CPU usage.

In Reply To:
I have posted to the Links forums regarding questions of that program before. I have never posted to the DBman forums and I wanted to get actual users views on this.
Really? When? I am an "actual user" who uses LINKS 2.0, LINKS SQL, and DBMAN.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee