Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

What is the capacity?

Quote Reply
What is the capacity?
I m going to make some more than 200,000 enteries in the DBMan. Is it reliable for such huge database or should I go For SQL version?

What's your experience?
Quote Reply
Re: [zeshan] What is the capacity? In reply to
200,000 is about 198,000 too many for the flatfile version...you should definitely go for DBMAN SQL
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] What is the capacity? In reply to
I just had to chuckle at that..

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] What is the capacity? In reply to
I am using dbman on a 5,000 line database with about 6 fields and about 500KB in size without any problems. Queries are completed in a split second.
Quote Reply
Re: [idg-usa] What is the capacity? In reply to
while I have no real knowledge of this, I suspect that ultimately the limit of DBMan/Links 2 is factor of both the number of links AND the size of the file and maybe to a lesser degree the number of fields.

If you have 5,000 records and a filesize of 200K, things may be fine. Or maybe 500 records with 2,000k filesize would be OK. But maybe 5,000 records at 2,000k would cause DBMan/Links to freeze.

If you have 5000/500k with 6 fields, you have about 17 characters per field. I have almost 450k in 672 records. On that basis, if I had 5,000 records, I would have about 3,348k ( over 3 million in size ) or almost 7 times the size of a 500k file.

A computer scientist friend of mine tells me that the "flat file" structure of DBMan/Links is inherently inefficient and will eventually ( he said soon ) reach a limit of usability which is much less than say using something like mySQL.

But hey, I'm am glad to see a system with 5,000 records. Now if can find one with a file size of 3,000k...!

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] What is the capacity? In reply to
Quote:
A computer scientist friend of mine tells me that the "flat file" structure of DBMan/Links is inherently inefficient and will eventually ( he said soon ) reach a limit of usability which is much less than say using something like mySQL.

That's true, and well known. SQL will always be better than flat-file databases due to speed and capacity. Generally too, the SQL server is written in C or C++ which is far quicker than perl.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] What is the capacity? In reply to
FWIW... my dbman pretty much "rolls over and dies" when the db file hits 800k. This represents only about 400 records but they are rather large records.