Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Using a text editor

Quote Reply
Using a text editor
Warning: I'm not a programmer, just a very experienced user... Anyway, I inherited a database created by a very ex-employee in DBMan. It seems like a great program, but I think I screwed something up pretty well. This guy can't organize for anything, so when I reorganized the site I had to update all the links in the database.

The site, styleforliving.com, is basically a slick directory for stores in LA, and the search engine helps people find the kind of furniture they want.

Since there are a couple hundred records, I didn't want to manually change all the file paths; so I opened the .db file and made all the changes globally. So now, the search engine works fine, but if I try to modify a record using DBMan, I get the error "Can't find requested record" even though it did find the requested record when I searched to modify it. I have not changed any other files... I have also noticed that the program seems to be placing files with my username and a bunch of numbers in the "auth" folder...

Help me! What have I done? Copies of the engine can be found in the folder www.styleforliving.com/dbman. Thanks in advance!

Quote Reply
Re: Using a text editor In reply to
Hi denserras, you'll need to save the following files as text files and make those available from your server - some of your files can be viewed, other cannot. The ones which can be viewed aren't the ones which will help identify the problems.

html.pl.txt
db.cgi.txt
default.cfg.txt

Hopefully, you have saved a copy of the files before doing the search/replace on the scripts <smile>

Let us know when you've uploaded the text files.

Quote Reply
Thank you - they're up!

Den

Quote Reply
Hi Den, that's interesting - your server still won't let me access the db.cgi.txt file - indicates a 500 Internal Server Error. Can you try saving the file as a text file again and uploading it to a different location on your server?