Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Update / New version

Quote Reply
Update / New version
Hi there,

I'm using DBman for more then 1 year. on the 16/11/2000 i have registered dbman and have pay $100 dollar. It seems that there are no plans to come up with a new version of DBman! Are there no plans to update DBman and added new possibility's? Is Dbman no longer active for updates?

Marcel

Quote Reply
Re: Update / New version In reply to
Flat file systems like DBMAN and Links 2.0 are on the bottom of the list for upgrading...GT is spending most of their efforts on improving the SQL version of their scripts.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Adding to Eliot's post ... probably GT will only update for security problems ... Seems from reading various threads that dbman is pretty complete as a solid script and ??? updates are no longer so to say necessary as per functionality.

for options you can always check out the resource section ... lot's of goodies there.

What more do you need dbman do? It's a really great script that's pretty easy to modify, works marvelous ...

just my thoughts ...

good luck

on the pages in between ...
Quote Reply
Hi,

There are a lot of modification for DBman. Unfortunattaly they not always work great together. Also not all modification can be set on or off by changing a parameter. For the pro's here it won't be any problem to make every modification work and also change them so that you can set them on or off by a variable. But for the nonpro's its a little more difficult. Thats why i want to see a new version with more possibility's and a setup through HTML of the script for some modifications. What i like to see in DBMan are the following modifications which can be set off or on: Picture upload, textfile upload, different date formats (input and output), autodelete after a setup define period, a html setup for changing the look of the output. Normal, short/long, column display, send to friend (with setup of message text), preview, top10 and whatsnew.

I know i can added the myself and hack the db.cgi, .cfg .pl and sometimes also the auth file. The problem however is that when making a new database i have to check all modification on many different places and different files if i must change information so that everything is working.
There ways to make this more easy

Marcel

Quote Reply
It isn't worth it for Alex. He isn't going to re-write/upgrade the code when most people are just going to get the free upgrade.

Mods:http://wiredon.net/gt/download.shtml
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Also, this also get's into sticky territory ... adding functionality that someone else has already done.

This type of conversation has occurred at least once before I think in the links 2.0 (flat-file) forum. You might want to dig around for it.

If I remember correctly, the idea was what types of things would "everyone" want. Then add what Paul wrote above ... you can see the GT point a little more clearly.

GT offers the flat-file scripts "virtually free" hoping that folks will upgrade to an "even better" script and yet not blocking folks from using scripts that are basically "top" in their class.

I own LinksSQL and it offers such a type of plugin structute that you're looking for -- turn it on / off type of idea. I still haven't seen dbmanSQL but I bet if it doesn't do that already too, it will soon.

good luck

on the pages in between ...
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I still haven't seen dbmanSQL but I bet if it doesn't do that already too, it will soon
Yes, it does along with Gossamer Mail. GT has worked very hard at centralizing its library modules and also adding a centralized plugin system for all its SQL-based scripts.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/