Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Sorting problem

Quote Reply
Sorting problem
Our DBman version at http://psychologynet.org(click:Find a Therapist) has suddenly stopped sorting by ID (descending). We didn't change anything in the script. Can anyone help?
Quote Reply
Re: [drburck] Sorting problem In reply to
Well... you're right, it doesn't work. Your syntax looks okay and if you didn't change anything then that means that something on the user/input end has triggered something that has caused it to not work anymore.

I can't "see" anything that would be wrong, but I have some questions:
a.) How many records do you have? - dbman starts getting 'buggy' when the db file gets too large. Although opinions vary on just how big that is. The official line is like around 1mb for default.db.
b.) Could there be something with the ID numbers that's causing your problem? Is it set to 5 digits and suddenly you've hit record #100000?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help -Mike.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Sorting problem In reply to
To answer your questions: the database file is 2.3MB. However that shouldn't be a problem since we have a second database running (our Hotline directory) the databse file of which is also about 2.5MB without the sorting problem, and works just fine. The Therapist DB has 2856 rwecords and the ID # of the newest is 2921. The sorting works ok with the Date or any other poarameter except ID. The sorting works fine in the Hotline directory
Quote Reply
Re: [drburck] Sorting problem In reply to
Hmm... I don't think I can help on this one Frown. Hopefully one of the more skilled users will come along and point you in the right direction. In the meantime, try downloading your .db file and opening/importing it into excel or a spreadsheet program and see if any fields are "out of whack". I guess that's about as close to reindexing & packing as you could come.

If you haven't already, try searching on the terms sort, sort order, ignoring sort order, etc. and see if there are any relevant posts.

-Mike.

Ps: Nice site. It's alway interesting to see the many "versions" of dbman out and about.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Sorting problem In reply to
adding to checking you .db also check your other .db data files like count / log wonder if something got fried ... ???

strange to say the least.

yeah, it's a nice site! too bad explorer on Mac OS X doesn't like the top page too much .. it comes through but alot on the left is missing.

FYI, this type of database in Japan would total maybe 100k for all of Japan ... mostly foreign practicioners that is too!!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile