Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

limiting user records

Quote Reply
limiting user records
Hello,
There is a mod by JP Deni that allows for the admin to set the # of records that a user can have. Does anyone know off hand if this means:

1) setting of a maximum of total records submitted (or)
2) setting the maximum of a total of active records (or)
3) something else.......

Stevo

Quote Reply
Re: limiting user records In reply to
It means TOTAL number of RECORDS (no matter if they are "active" or "not active" assuming you are using the Validate Mod). Don't know how to make clearer.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks!

Stevo

Quote Reply
Further to the above, I have now installed this mod and the operation seems to allow the setting of a ceiling on the number of records in total in the database for that user.If the user deletes a record the system allows him/her to replace it subject to the ceiling. What I was hoping for was a permutation that would limit a user to an overall number of records cumulativeley submitted. My goal would be to provide x number of records submitted for free. Beyond that overall limit additional and cumulative new records would attract a fee for submission. ( No, I am not using the "validate" mod) Any thoughts?

Stevo

Quote Reply
If you are not using the validate mod, how do you plan on determining a paid/unpaid submission? If there were an "absolute max" number of records the user could add, there would not be a method for them to also add a paid record after hitting the max free entries. - - - Creation of a new user account would side-step the paid aspect, wouldn't it?

Quote Reply
Hi KAREN:
I am trying to think through this objective and the process necessary to achieve it, so I do thank you very much for your input. My thoughts were to simply increase the # of allowable records for those who desired to input a greater number of records via a paid status. This option is part of the existing mod and is a simple admin function so I think I have that part covered. (right?) As far as a user sidestepping the process by creating an additional account, it seems to me I can control who I give accounts to , right? (this database would be created for a pool of approx 1000 max users) I would rather control account creation than approving all new records. I am very new to this so any feedback is appreciated. If I am missing something that should be obvious, please enlighten me.

With Thanks,

Stevo